Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,889   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glue for felt?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

glue for felt?

Hi all - I'm trying to put some felt on the platform I made for supporting my Century Master studio camera (I don't have a camera stand at this time - might try to make one later... this platform lets me put the camera on top of my big Gitzo 1425 legs with 1520 head). What kind of glue should I use to adhere the felt to the plywood platform? How liberally or sparingly should I apply it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your gluing something to wood, like felt, I would use Elmers Wood Glue, or even plain old Elmers glue. I use it a lot for wood to wood projects. The felt would absorb so much of the glue the stuff will probably never come off, what is what I think you would want. Just make sure if the wood has been painted the area to be glued is sanded so it is a little rough, so the glue has something to stick too. The best way would be not to paint the area at all. There are also some other wood glues similar to Elmers Wood Glue, but is basically the same stuff, looks like kinda light tan color, if you cant find Elmers. It shouldn't take too much glue, just apply it evenly.

James,

Shooter
    Large Format
    A spray on contact type cement should work for this too.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used yellow carpenters glue, not applied too thick. I'd squirt a bunch on, and then spread it with a stick so you have an even layer across the plywood, just thick enough to cover the wood.

If its too thick it will soak through the felt, and you don't want that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Super 77 would be contact cement in spray form but I use high quality yellow wood glue to adhere felt to marble all the time. Contact spray is nasty and should be done outside, but it probably will not soak into the felt like the yellow glue will if used liberally. I use it liberally and it works fine on marble and would adhere even better to wood.

If you do the contact spray get the super 77 the cheap off brand stuff is worthless. Of course coat both the felt and the wood and wait 1/2 hour and apply it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The only problem with carpenter's glue is that it will saturate the felt, and make it hard. I would suggest contact cement.
    —Eric

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would use contact cement, lightly.

KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would recommend the spray contact adhesive. I glued felt to 1/4" plywood to put on the wall behind my dart board and it worked great. I used wooden dowels from the hardware store to help me lay it up so it wouldn't stick in the wrong position.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I ended up getting a can of the 3M "77" spray adhesive. Worked like a charm. Only problem of course is that now I have this giant can of spray adhesive that I only needed for a single job. I'll have to find other things I need to stick together now!

Images
    Use it to stick any wiggly subjects in place.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin