Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,587   Online: 1192

Images

What is my Kodak 2-D case made of?

I have a Kodak 2-D 8x10 in a black case/box. I'm curious about the material that the case is made of. It is like leather or rubber, revetted at the corners. Probably made in the 30s or 40s. I've had other things made of the same stuff. Can this material still be purchased? Seems like good stuff.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vulcanite?

Images
    Vulcanite? Is that what is on Leicas? Can I buy it from Superman?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel View Post
    Vulcanite? Is that what is on Leicas? Can I buy it from Superman?
    No, that would be Kryptonite.

A lot of older cases were made with Vulcanoid. A synthetic material, now out of fashion. Modern cases are made from resins or Fiberglass. The old cases seem to hold up quite well, though.

Images
    Phototone, Thanks. I was hoping to buy some to make a case. Vulcanoid -- so I get this beamed down from Mr Spock. Figures. I didn't get any hits for the material on a quick google.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    try Vulcanite
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Vulcanite is hard rubber. Vulcanoid is perhaps a propriatery name for the material the cases were made from, but I don't think they were hard rubber. Vulcanite is the material Leica used as covering on their camera bodies. Vulcanoid is brand or type of material cases were made from.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old case that my Korona, 8x10, came in is from around the early 1900's and it was made from what looks to be a very thick card board. Thicker than 8 ply mat board (more like 16 ply) and covered in cloth. Considering the age of the case and what it is made of it looks pretty good. I do not use it now, but have seen others like it - in fact I think that the Shen Hao 8x10 cameras can be ordered with a aluminum case that looks for all pratcial purpose like the old Korona case. Just have not found a source for them.

Would be interested to hear how your search works out LG, let me know if you get in touch with Spock...those Vulcans.
    Mike C

Rambles

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin