Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,237   Online: 969

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rise/Fall locking mechanism

I have a new Agfa 8x10 (linked below) that doesn't seem to have a locking mechanism for the front rise. So when I mount my lens (a Schneider 300 / 500 convertible Symmar) the mechanism can't support it and it slides all the way down.

Is there some logical way I can add a lock to hold this mechanism in place?

Thanks.

Here is the link to the camera:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2134&rd=1&rd=1
    Paul

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    How strange. If I understand correctly, the front rise is geared and there is not enough friction on the gearing to hold the lens stage up? Maybe you can remove a knob from one side, thread the shaft, and fit it with a locking collar that you could tighten...Hope this is of some help.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Perhaps someone else has a definitive answer, but IIRC on a 5x7 Agfa I had, the large knob on the right operated the rise, the small knob on the left tightened to lock it in place. Same way the focus knobs work. Unless of course someone put different type knobs on it (looks like it). And sometimes, in the case of the Conley, there were small detents on the shaft, and a slight push in on the knob would lock it in place.

Shooter
    Large Format
    By the way, fantastic looking camera!!! Whoever reworked it did an excellent job.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you may be right. Both knobs will operate the rise and fall, but when I push in the knob on the right it seems to lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Freneticist View Post
    By the way, fantastic looking camera!!! Whoever reworked it did an excellent job.
    Thanks! It really is a beautiful piece, a pleasure to look at. I got quite a deal too for that price.
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Maybe you can remove a knob from one side, thread the shaft, and fit it with a locking collar that you could tighten...Hope this is of some help.
    Is that easy for a machinist to do? I'm not too handy with this kind of thing.
    Paul

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    Is that easy for a machinist to do? I'm not too handy with this kind of thing.

Hi Paul:

Yes, this is easy for a machinist to do. If you are near Seattle, drop in to the camera factory and we can fix you up for free. If not, I am sure if you stop by a small machine shop near you, they will help you for little or no money. I would if you walked into my machine shop.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    On my Agfa 8x10, the rise and fall is locked by a little plate on the inside of the front standard. It has internal teeth which mate with the rise shaft pinion and lock it when the pinion is pushed to one side after setting the height. The lock is NOT friction on mine.

cheers

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    What a clever design! Looking at the camera again I wonder how well my idea would work. That's a pretty hefty front standard. If the original design isn't working as well anymore, you might try to replace the 'mating teeth' with new gearing; if they're brass they can really wear down over time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Barry -- thanks for the offer. I'm all the way at the other end of I-90, but I could probably find a machinist around.

John -- it doesn't look like there's any plate to lock the standard. If I push in one of the knobs it seems to induce sufficient friction to keep the standard up under the weight of my 300/500 convertible Symmar (which is reasonably hefty). I don't know how it would do with a yet heavier lens, though.

Colin -- overall the gears and tracks seem to be working well, though occasionally it seems to jump off the tracks. I may look into getting those replaced. Maybe I could take it up to that shop in Vermont (Ritter?) for a tuneup.
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin