Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,497   Online: 859

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    If you lick the sticky side of the adhesive seals, you can move them about *much* easier than if you don't. They don't always go right where you want them to go, so this buys you some time to move them into the right spot. In a few moments it will be as sticky as ever, so don't take too long, but it will buy you enough time to work. I've done maybe 15 cameras now with his kits - they're great, and Jon is a superb guy.

- Randy
    Thanks for the tip! I was wondering what would happen if I started at a wrong spot or had to move the seal a centimeter or two once it was placed.

CGross
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Naptha is the name of the solvent? What type of solvent is it (mineral spirits, alcohol, etc.)?
    I mispelled it the first time. Naphtha is the correct spelling.
    It's a solvent and used mainly for thinning oil based paint.

I usually try to get some of the foam off, then apply naphtha with a Q-tip or a eye dropper. I let it sit for a few minutes then apply a little more, then go to town working to get all of the adhesive off. On old stubborn seals, it sometimes takes several applications of naphtha and scrapping with Jon's bamboo tool to get everything off. Make sure you have an old rag or paper towel to keep the bamboo stick clean.

Also, get a nice new x-acto knife to make your cuts.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another satisfied Jon Goodman customer here. His instructions contain a number of tips like wetting the adhesive. It's worth reading through all the instruction PDFs on his website even if it's not for your camera as they are full of tips and ideas that may come in handy.

Lighter fluid is mostly Naphtha I believe, and may be easier to get hold of in that form.

Cheers, Bob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin