Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,668   Online: 901

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Replacing Foam Seals

Anyone know of any good places to get foam light seals replaced on camera equipment? I currently need to replace the foam light seals on two 120 film backs and revolving adaptor for a Mamiya RB67 Pro-S.

I was looking at the possibility of doing it myself with a kit from John Goodman (Interslice), but I am not sure if my eyes and coordination are the same as they were 20 years ago!

CGross
    Paul Ebel Lens Services, PO Box 141, 420 21st street Suite 2, Menomonie, WI 54751. (651)335-8759

I highly recommend Paul. Although he does alot of lenses, he is also one heck of a camera repair person too.

Another repair person I have heard good things about for MF gear is:
    Mark Hama LLC
    2675 Earl Dr.
    Marietta, GA 30062
    phone: (770) 565-1498
    fax: (770) 977-5078
    http://www.markhama.com/
    markhama@comcast.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don't forget our APUG friend Jon Goodman. I have two addresses.....Jgood21967@aol.com and Jon_Goodman@yahoo.com. Or check ebay for his ads. I use his kits and they are very complete and high quality.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used the kit from Jon Goodman on some Mamyia RB film backs, it works well and his instructions are first rate. Bright lighting and a magnifier on a stand will be a great help. Each one took about 3 hours to do.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second John Goodman's products. I have done the seals on two rb67 backs. If I can do it, anybody can.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the feedback! I ordered the kit from John Goodman last night. Do some of the foam strips have adhesive backs? If not, what adhesive would you recommend? I am thinking about the flat hinge on the film back.

CGross
    Yes, the foam has adhesive. You will have to cut them to right width and length. He has great instructions and you will get a nice bamboo tool to help with the removal of the old seal. Naptha is the best at helping to remove the old seals. You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot.

You may want to email him to see if he has specific instructions for an RB otherwise, you can probably get all you need from what he sends or this link where he has published many other camera model instructions.

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/sealreplacement.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you lick the sticky side of the adhesive seals, you can move them about *much* easier than if you don't. They don't always go right where you want them to go, so this buys you some time to move them into the right spot. In a few moments it will be as sticky as ever, so don't take too long, but it will buy you enough time to work. I've done maybe 15 cameras now with his kits - they're great, and Jon is a superb guy.

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Randy -- great suggestion. And you're right -- they don't always land exactly where you want when you first place them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snowymtphotos View Post
    Yes, the foam has adhesive. You will have to cut them to right width and length. He has great instructions and you will get a nice bamboo tool to help with the removal of the old seal. Naptha is the best at helping to remove the old seals. You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot.

You may want to email him to see if he has specific instructions for an RB otherwise, you can probably get all you need from what he sends or this link where he has published many other camera model instructions.

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/sealreplacement.html
    Thanks for the link! There are instructions there for a C330, but I believe there is not much difference. I will be headed to Lowes first thing tomorrow morining to pick up some solvent! Naptha is the name of the solvent? What type of solvent is it (mineral spirits, alcohol, etc.)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin