Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,308   Online: 831

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

old plate camera: to refinish or not?

I have an english-style triple extention plate camera, similar to a thornton-pickard field camera. Its in lackluster shape, without a bellows. The finger joints on some corners have separated and someone did a messy job of gluing them together.

Ive managed to re-separate the joints and I am going to reglue them properly after a bit of sanding.

However, I was wondering your opinions on if i should do the minimal amount to get the camera working again or if i should completely dissasemble and it, sand and refinish the wood. That would also entail giving all the brass a good cleaning.

What are your opionions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it were mine, and I was going to the time, trouble and expense to replace the bellows, and reglue bad joints, I'd want to look as good as possible when I was done. I'd say that refinishing and polishing the brass would be appropriate.

Sounds like an interesting, hopefully fun, project!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you've got the time and ability, whats to question? Make it into a fine looking working camera.
    Gary Beasley

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If it's really lackluster, I would try to give it back some lustre.

I have a small project that really needs refinishing: A small 6x4.5cm plate camera with peeling leather. What I suddenly learned is that the leather is all that is keeping the "front release" button in place!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Most of my "small" restoration projects usually turn into "large" projects, too.
    —Eric

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you are more interested in pretty cameras than in making photographs, certainly refinish it. Otherwise, the time and energy spent in a major refinishing job might yield some fine negatives. The refinish job can wait until the camera has been replaced by another workhorse.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As long as you aren't in a hurry, take your time and do a bang up job, the whole enchilada. Now that is if you are capable of this type of work or willing to learn n experiment with it. After all, it's not working now so the worst that will happen is it still won't work but you did have a great time doing it.

It's the journey that makes it worth the trouble.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Do it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    WOW, what a beauty!
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks.

It's an old Asanuma & Co. (Asanuma Shokai) King 1 English style half plate camera, pre-WWII Japanese. I built 4x5 and 5x7 backs for it from old B&J backs and installed Satin Snow screens on both, cleaned it (the finish is original), polished the brass, and had new bellows made for it. The strap is a dog's collar. The tripod base is plywood, left with the plies visible, bolted to the old-style tripod slots with ground blots that allow the rear and front extensions to move unimpeded, and two spirit levels from a cheap plastic carpenter's level, mounted with brass tubing. Lenses are a 90mm Schneider Angulon, a 150mm Fuji Fujinon and a 210/370mm Schneider Symmar convertible. It looked pretty bad when I got it for a song...now it's my baby!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin