Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,256   Online: 987

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Adapting SLR to Zeiss Monocular

I am researching for a chance to use a zeiss tele lens - monocular - with a slr camera.
    Is there a chance to use it together , this would be the cheapest new zeiss camera .

Waiting your help ,

Best regards ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure what you mean by a Zeiss tele lens - monocular...

Do you mean you want to put a sports optics, such as a spotting scope, onto an SLR?

If so, Zeiss make an adaptor for this very pupose which fits their spotting scopes and takes T2 adaptors so as to match up to the SLR.

I have a Zeiss spotting scope and intend to do this one day, but the adaptor is NOT cheap!

Altenatively you can use the SLR with it's standard lens to look through the scopes eyepiece by mounting it on a bracket such as are used for 'digiscoping'. Being able to fill the frame without vignetting is likely to be a problem, though. Usually needs a lot of fiddling and adjusting to line it all up. Can be a good way to take a one off picture that needs a long focal length, like a lunar picture, but not very practical for daily use!

Be aware, though, whilst these are ways to get a cheap long focus lens (well, the spotting scope is not at all cheap, but it is cheaper than buying a photo optic as well!) don't expect the flat field and even illumination you would expect from a photographic optic, the rules for telecopes are not the same...

Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi Steve , I am talking about to put a smallest cheapest scope in front of camera body. Zeiss monoculars - smallest one - are very cheap , 1/25 of Leica. I do not want the best result , mine is to use a zeiss product with zenit and get funny results. I saw a man at photonet who build a 1 meter long tube and 1 diopter leica lens - same as eyeglass lens - and take incredible pictures. Is it easier to build a tele with zeiss eyeglass lens ?
    I would love its yellowish colors , low contrast at sea side of istanbul.
    There is one of the busiest ship traffic of the world here and taking russian captain portraits will be funny I think if all went wrong , trying a digital camera binocular - 50 dollars range - is a answer. Lets talk first , than shopping ...

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    steven,
    A monocular is one side of a binocular without the hinge. The eyepiece is not removable so I doubt the T2 route will work.
    I guess they were made for one-eyed, one horned people eaters.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are various adapters that the digiscoping folks use that might work. Check here--

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/

You could also just cludge a way to set up the camera with a lens and whatever extension tubes are needed to look through the monocular and keep the whole thing parallel, and then just shade the space between the lens and the monocular eyepiece to prevent flare.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin