Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,755   Posts: 1,515,984   Online: 893

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dust in my lens

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    You might want to read this:

http://www.photoethnography.com/blog...g_cameras.html

If the humidity level in the room where your stuff is stored is high, like over 60 percent or so, especially in the rainy season, you need to watch out.

Also, clean your air conditioner's filter every once in a while.

Amazing! All these years I have stored my equipment in cool dark places (in camera bags)! The problem here in Florida is that there is dust everywhere. I replace my AC filters frequently, but I still have no idea why I am always seeing a light coat of dust everwhere. I never open my windows! Interesting link. I guess I have no choice but to go out and shoot every weekend from now on with all my equipment in order to prevent it from falling prey to dust!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I personally wound't worry too mucha bout dust, but fungus I would!

You may have already seen this:

http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/repair_us.htm#fl

I've used Nikon Authorized Service shops for my equipment and have always been quite pleased with the service. Last year I had a Nikkor 50/1.4 serviced (focus was getting dry sounding). It took a week and cost about $75 If I recall correctly. The lens was returned to "as new" operating condition.

Hopefully one of these shops are in your general vacinity.

Thanks for the link! I will be contacting these repair shops first thing tomorrow morning to see if they can service this lens. While I'm at it I think I will have the hot shoe and meter repaired on one of my FM2's. Thanks again!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Amazing! All these years I have stored my equipment in cool dark places (in camera bags)! The problem here in Florida is that there is dust everywhere. I replace my AC filters frequently, but I still have no idea why I am always seeing a light coat of dust everwhere. I never open my windows! Interesting link. I guess I have no choice but to go out and shoot every weekend from now on with all my equipment in order to prevent it from falling prey to dust!
    Dust is everywhere, and so is fungus. But how you maintain your equipment makes a difference.

I keep my cameras and lenses in a cabinet that has a clear glass front, so they are exposed to some room light all the time. It's not sealed tight, but tight enough to keep dust away on a daily basis, but I leave the doors open and let some air in every once in a while if I'm not using anything from there.

In there, I put silica gels and anti-fungus/fungee agent and a thermometer with a humidity indicator, and I try to keep the humidity level between 40 and 60 percent. I don't bother to deal with the room temperature as much, but it's been okay at a natural setting.

And about cleaning the filter of AC unit is that, because that's where fungus grows, you don't want to blow that kind of air in. Dust isn't really a problem, though.

But don't worry too much. Just use your equipment as much as you can.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin