Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,652   Online: 1140

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I think it depends on the look you are after. Find a wood that when finished gives you the look you want. There are plenty of great hardwoods. I love walnut and my 8x20 is out of Walnut. I have had to use hand tools for most of the work and I love the way the wood works. The finish is a hand rubbed oil finish wet polished to 800 grit with diamond pads and then a protective satin wax. All hand rubbed. Yes I am a glutton for punishment. But so far so good. Good luck. I will post some pic's this weekend after some assembly.

Jim

Stay Focused....or Soft Focused!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Walnut. It is beautiful and has fairly optimal mechanical properties.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    What Jim said. Provided it's stable, why limit yourself? I've used tiger-striped maple, curly cherry, mahogany and rosewood. (On separate cameras that is!) I've seen others use Padouk, purpleheart, lacewood...I'd stay away from lignum vitae and the oilier exotics because it's hard to find a glue that'll stick to them and they're usually astronomically expensive and heavy. But lignum vitae does make a great bearing surface for guide rails because it's almost self-lubricating, very soapy feeling. Of course there are environmental reasons as well to use no rainforest woods, but there are certified grower programs to help ease your conscience. I think curly cherry is a great compromise because it's very exotic looking, quite stable, relatively light and domestically grown.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I guess i was just surprised at how much my ebony moved from moisture and i was worried about choosing a wood that was more tempermental. I also would like a harder wood so that it is more durable.

Shooter
    Large Format
    All wood moves. That is why you must build out of quarter sawn wood. It will shrink and expand but not warp. The hardest wood is Lignum Vitae. Very dense and will sink in water. Good for mallets but to heavy for cameras. Like Ebony it would be good for a bearing surface. Oak has an open grain that can cause some tearout. I've made some lens boards out of Zebrawood and it is quite distinctive. I think you should pick a color or shade and then go from there. Light, Birds eye Maple. Medium, Cherry. Dark, Walnut, Mahogany. Very dark, Ebony, Rosewood, Coco-Bola.

The standards are Maple (painted) Cherry and Mahogany. These woods are, strong, stable, easy to work and light for their strength.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I would recommend straight grained quartersawn Cherry. It is exceedingly dimensionally stable, it does not threaten rain forests, it is lightweight and beautiful. Mahogany second. I no longer use mahogany because I want my grandchildren to have a rain forest. Mahogaby is also much heavier.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I built a 3.25 x 4.25 reducing back for my 810 from cherry. Has remained quite stable, even here in VT where the weather goes from very dry to very wet every year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anyone used Paulownia -in any camera building or wood working applications?
    check this description http://www.paulowniasupply.com/paulo...cteristics.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    as a disclaimer -I have nothing to do with this site or product -but found it using a quick search for paulownia characteristics -but for yrs I've heard about the dimensional stability of paulownia -esp. for boxes etc.
    barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd vote for Jelutong. A bit more expensive than some - but for a camera project - not very. Very dimensionally stable, and it machines like the DICKENS and has zero grain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin