Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,903   Posts: 1,584,560   Online: 1022

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tripod

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jim,
    This project came about because I need something more stable for the pinhole camera that I built. So I kind of started the other way around.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Jim,
    This project came about because I need something more stable for the pinhole camera that I built. So I kind of started the other way around.
    Greg, excellent! Glad to see the creativity in build quality and photographic quality. A great sence of acomplishment. Good luck to you.

jim

Jim,Any chance of more photos, close-ups of your tripod?

lloyd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Somewhere I think Jim did have other photos in a different thread, but I can't remember. I say this because I think I asked the same question in that other thread which was before I started to build mine.

And while I'm here, I have a few new pictures of mine, now that it is in a semi functional state. Still a lot of work to be done, sanding and more coats of polyurethane. And better spreader. Cut the extra off of all the bolts so that everything has a cleaner look. Things like that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A few more pictures of Jim's tripod
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/...tml#post359768

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd View Post
    Jim,Any chance of more photos, close-ups of your tripod?

lloyd
    Lloyd, Here are some additional ones. Also, you can google Dick Streff"s camlock tripod for the link to an old post on the Grimes site. I will try to find the link for you and post it here. The design Dick uses for the camlock is very nice. It holds the legs very tight and can be adjusted via the threaded brass rods. It took a lot of time to finish the walnut. If you notice the legs are reversible. The brass strips at the top protect the edge of the legs. When I reverse them the spikes are at the top. Any more questions please let me know.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 07-16-2007 at 11:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Greg, you were posting at the same time as me again! Man is that strange or what??!! Thanks for puting up my link. I like the way your tripod is coming together. Nice idea on controling the leg spread! I still have to mount my bubble levels on mine. I like the pinhole. Very nice build quality! Keep up the great work. Are you into building something bigger? I'm stopping at 8x20, of course a pinhole would be nice!!! It never ends!!! I am obsessed!!!!

Stay Focused or... Soft Focused!!!

Jim

[for now] Arizona, U. S. A. [near future?] "Land of Enchantment"[NM]
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A very fine piece of craftsmanship! Congrats to you, Greg!!
    [FONT=Verdana]"the real truth of a photographic image is in its ability to evoke emotion."--Bryan Peterson[/FONT]
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]My Muse wheels Herself about in a wheel-chair![/COLOR]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jim,

Bigger is not likely. It's too hard to get processed right now. I may make a 6x6 or 6x7 pinhole in the future, but that may be the end. At some point I will definitely make another tripod in the exact same design with 18 inch legs. That way I can interchange the parts. I'm not really happy with the ball head, I may look into building my own, or replacing the cheap ball with something better.

Also the cheapo head I bought has a bubble level on it, so I don't need to worry so much about the platform being level. Of course that would be difficult with that big geared head that you have.

I think I am going to modify this design a little bit. I think I'm going to put some brass on the upper part of the legs where the bolt goes so that there is something a little stronger for the bolt and knob to push against. The big thing is that now I have it functional, so all the other stuff can come when it does.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Greg, I know what you mean about getting it functional and then adjust some parts as you use it. A better head can always come when you up-grade. Some how it never ends.

Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin