Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,937   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

My Walnut 8x20 is coming along

Well, I thought I would update all of you on my progress on the 8x20. I have said that I work at my own pace and have no specific time line to finish. Although now that I am left with the back frame, ground glass frame and bellows I must admit I am looking forward to finishing the camera. I'll add some pic's of my progress. Thanks to Dan and Hugo for helping me get off my butt and giving me some inspiration to continue working on this labor of love.

Jim

Stay Focused or... Soft Focused!!
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 07-16-2007 at 10:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, great job on your wood working skills! Fit and finish look to be first rate. After too many years as a cabinet maker (my former life), I applaud anyone who is willing to undertake this challenge. Can't wait to see some images taken with this one when it is finished.

Is the hardware from an existing "platform" which you adapted to a new format? Best, tim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jim, GREAT WORK!

Looking at the photos made me think of a question based on my experience with the 8x20 format.

What is your length of the bed rails?

Seems kind of short in the photos. You might want to add a extension rail out the back to gain some focusing length. Otherwise you limit yourself to using only short lenses.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks for the comments guys. To answer some questions. Yes I'm using the brass from an old Kodak 2-D that I found a while ago. I stripped the old camera and cleaned everything and I am re-using all of the old metal. It is in fine shape just needed to be cleaned.Some of the brass I need to fabricate new. The focusing rods are longer.
    George, I have the extension rail done but I am trying to find the gear rack so I can finish it. I need an old Kodak 2-D rail to get the racks from and then I'll be done with that piece. Anyone have an extra lying around they don't need?? When I put this baby together for the quick pic's I finally got a sence of how big this is going to be. When the back and bellows are done I'll really see how big 8x20 is. The extension is about 30 inches. The longest lens I have right now is an old Kodak 21 1/4" Anastigmat. My other lenses are 14" to 19". Without the extension rail attached it is at about 18". I havent weight what I have so far but I'm not too woried about that. That is until I try to carry this thing on my back!!!

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jim,

What a great job! I can't wait to shoot sand dunes with you and Dan with our 8x20s!!!

Hugo

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Jim,

What a great job! I can't wait to shoot sand dunes with you and Dan with our 8x20s!!!

Hugo
    Hugo, when I get this done you can count on the fact that you, Dan and myself are heading out to burn some big sheets of film. Thanks!

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    New brass racks and pinions can be bought from www.smallparts.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    New brass racks and pinions can be bought from www.smallparts.com
    Frank, thanks for the info and link to small parts. I'm trying to match the gear pitch of the Kodak 2-D racks that I have. I e-mailed them a while back with my spec's and have not heard back. I guess I should try again. I am watching something on e-bay that is a Kodak rail. Thanks.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Frank, thanks for the info and link to small parts. I'm trying to match the gear pitch of the Kodak 2-D racks that I have. I e-mailed them a while back with my spec's and have not heard back. I guess I should try again. I am watching something on e-bay that is a Kodak rail. Thanks.

Jim
    I was looking for racks to build an extension for my 2D and asked Richard Ritter about it. He told me that they were non-standard. I was surprised but I looked at all the usual sources (small parts, berg, mcmaster plus specialty gear houses) and came up with nothing. You may need to get new racks and matching pinions. If you do find a source for the rack, though, please post or PM me.

Thanks -- Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That thing is going to be monsterously heavy, good thing you have a serious tripod to go with it. What do you do for ground glass on something that big? does it slide around or do you use a full size glass for that? But it does look good. Are you going to make the bellows yourself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin