Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,206   Online: 701

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Gas , Liquid and Plasma Lenses and primitive techniques

As you know lens makers are always tried to build better lenses with ceramics , crystals and plastics.
    I think new way is to use the gas , liquid or plasma environment. As you know fusion scientists , theoric physic science is investigating laser , plasma interaction. Science tells that laser beam increase its power with interacting with plasma thousands times. We are not far living to plasma , even energy saving lamps are working with plasma.
    I read little about plasma , laser interaction and i do not know anything about daylight plasma interaction. But it seems to me worth to search for.
    And it is easier to form liquid , gas lenses and dope with chemicals.
    If you want to make your own lens , you can cnc carve two wood halves , go to a glass blower artist and order a glass blow in to the mold.
    Than you fill the empty glass with a doped liquid or gas in to it.
    You invented galileo technology again and used with latest material technology.
    You can experiment. May be gas inside could be electrified and turn to plasma and god knows what happens next

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All those three proposed lenstypes:
    -) liquid
    -) gas
    -) excited gas (plasma)

will obviously be more difficult to handle.

Have you got any idea about refractive indices etc. of these.
    Especially the plain gas type does not seem to offer any advantage to my understanding.
    Would a plasma be homogenous?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hello again , gas filling , is not new at lens making. Some people disassemble their lenses and when the gas gone , lens never operates the same.
    I think liquid is far away easier to handle . You can fill the empty space with it very easily.
    There are many people who wants to carve their own lens. I think my way is faraway easier to do. Refractive indices are subject to search. Some scientists prepare plastic and metal oxide matixes and they create a 2 or more indice.
    It is lot easier to dissolve chemicals in liquid or gas. may be they will be more sensitive to heat changes but it is very funny to work on this stuff.
    I think we will get more replies and learn more about the concept .

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To achieve a refractive effect a gas must have a different refractive index, or yield a different speed of propagation of light, as air. Could a gas show a significant difference, comparable to that produced by a liquid or solid?

What gas-lenses do you know? What lenses did those people deassemble?

The only gas-lenses I know are optical systems made out of glass (or at least solid) elements, isolated against the outside, and the space between the elements filled with some dry gas (to keep moisture off). By exchanging this gas with plain air (while deassembling) the result could be inferior. But this not neccesarily means that such an effect would be suffient to make an optical system.

Or to put it in another way: Yes, there are sort of gas-lenses that make that great fata-morganas, but how large are threse lenses?

Well, one advantage a gas-lens would yield is weight reduction. But don’t forget those capsules to keep that gas in shape. Or even that plasma generator in case of that excited gas.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin