Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,151   Online: 996

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shutter Tester

bd3

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shutter Tester

Hope this it the correct place to post this. I'd like to find out where one would purchase a shutter tester. I have tried google but haven't found much.

Thanks,
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one from Calumet that I bought years ago. Give them a try.

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the one that Calumet sells under its original maker's name and it is very competent. I also have one built into the Metrolux II timer that I have. I just got the Metrolux and it's not functioning correctly on the enlarger power outlet and I may be sending it back for a likely fuse repair but I briefly played with the shutter timer on it and it seems to work well and agreed with my old timer on the few runs I tried. I had forgotten about that feature until the timer arrived but for the right situation, where you might be considering an enlarging timer/analyzer anyway, it would save owning 2 devices.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Bill,

I have a ZTS which doubles as a (very good) exposure meter. Google ZTS.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I made mine, there are several plans on the internet and most of them involve using the soundcard in your computer and free software.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    I made mine, there are several plans on the internet and most of them involve using the soundcard in your computer and free software.
    Do you happen to remember any of the link addresses? I, too, have searched for a schematic on Google and not found one. Thanks.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    All I've ever used is a microphone plugged into the sound card. I use audio manipulation software to see what the times are between the significant sounds which are the opening and closing of the shutter. It's scarily accurate according to what I've seen.

cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was thinking about building one using an LED and a photo transistor. I was going to buy a simple stand alone counter and build a stable 1kHz oscilator.

The phototransistor is then used to gate the oscilator into the counter so that the counter counts up whilst the shutter is open.

So the operation is: Reset counter, release shutter, read shutter opening time in milliseconds on counter display.

Then convert the time e.g. 2mS = 1/500; 250ms = 1/4; etc.

I do like the sound recording method though. I had not thought of that.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I ordered one from Calumet after building one of those sound card types. The Calumet is real simple and real fast to use; I highly recommend it.

You could even carry it with your other camera equipment if necessary.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I was thinking about building one using an LED and a photo transistor. I was going to buy a simple stand alone counter and build a stable 1kHz oscilator.

The phototransistor is then used to gate the oscilator into the counter so that the counter counts up whilst the shutter is open.

So the operation is: Reset counter, release shutter, read shutter opening time in milliseconds on counter display.

Then convert the time e.g. 2mS = 1/500; 250ms = 1/4; etc.

I do like the sound recording method though. I had not thought of that.

Steve.
    A clock rate much higher than 1kHz is required for accuracy at high shutter speeds. For 5% accuracy one should count at least 20 cycles.

Accuracy in the sound recording method requires knowing which sound is actually related to the opening and closing of the shutter. Using light through the shutter to trigger a phototransistor, and the phototranstor output to trigger the sound card, might be more reliable.

The ultimate shutter tester is a oscilloscope. It can measure flash sync timing and shutter efficiency. It can detect problems like shutter bounce. Learning to use an oscilloscope is certainly easier than learning to use most cameras well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin