Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,249   Online: 989

Shooter
    35mm

Retina II balkydoor

I've a lovely Retina II with a front door that doesn't like to open easily. When I press the release button on the camera base plate, the door unlatches easily enough, but then I have to gently pry it open with a fingernail.

It doesn't do the leatherette covering much good.

I don't want to disassemble much of the camera; everything else is functioning quite well (except of course for the rangefinder, but that's not a big issue with me). Is there any particular part or area that can be targeted for cleaning or lubrication?
    Jeff Polaski
    "A full-time job seriously interferes with photography."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Common problem. Just oil all the joints and all will be just fine once it works in. You'll love that little jewel.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm

Ok, now

I cleaned the hinge, strut and other contact points with Ronsonol lighter fluid, then a thin dab of light oil, quickly wiping off the excess.

The door doesn't spring open very much, but a slight flick of the wrist when I press the release opens it enough to get it started.
    Jeff Polaski

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You must have a beautifuly kept specimen then if after oiling the door is still a bit stiff. The bellows, if has been kept folded for many years, and is nice n crispy, it will also take a bit of doing to make em snap open. Don't be so impatient, just take plenty of pics so you won't have to open teh door so much.

Let's see some of those pics?

Shooter
    35mm

This weekend: retina exercise

Ron, that's a good point. I hadn't considered the stiffness of the bellows. Both the Retina II and IIa wil get some exercise this weekend during a stay in Manhattan (including some stage shots of Les Paul at the Iridium -- he's not at all camera shy). I'll load one with film for daytime shooting and one for night shots.

Sharing the results is another matter. I have to carve out a place for my scanner in an unfortunately cluttered area. I will do it, but it wil take some time.

The Xenon f/2.0 lens is a beautiful lens.
    Jeff Polaski

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You'll enjoy Les Paul and I hope you get some great shots of him. See if you can get an autograph while your at it. I have a pick guard form my old Les Paul Gibsom Guitar signed when he played at the Blue Note I think it was (his old hang out) back in the 90s. There you can stay after the show to talk to him and sometimes even jam a bit backstage. The Irridum pushes em in and gets em out just as fast. Nice show though, and he is a legend.

Hey if you can swing it, get onto Roosevelt Island during the day to see some of the finest Cherry blossems in town with a great sky line of Manhattan in the background

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin