Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,610   Online: 876

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

advancing film - bigger spaces between frames

hey...

i'm just wondering if it's possible to get a professional to modify my contax 35mm slr to advance the film more (is there a simple lever adjusting solution i'm not aware of?). i use borders a lot when enlarging in the darkroom and the spacing is mighty tight so i've cut into the picture a couple times. i'd like the option of big borders too.

thanks...jordan.

Images
    Good Afternoon Jordan,

It's probably possible, but I imagine that time and effort required of a camera technician would hardly be worthwhile. If you really need the extra blank space, why not just use the lens cap while shooting blanks in between your user frames? 18 shots on a 35mm roll still doesn't add up to very expensive film cost.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even easier get a Kiev then you can get constantly changing borders -)

Shooter
    35mm
    You've got a good point here. When you look at the wasted space on a 36 frame film, you'd think it would be possible to increase borders and still allow 36 frames to be taken.

The spacing on my MZ7 means that when cutting the film into strips of 6 frames, I have to be very precise and I occasionally just about clip the edge of the neg.

So, a lot of sympathy from me but not much help in terms of a solution.

pentaxuser

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -) Very much out of the blue: let two gears change in the film drive unit, making a new gear ratio and thus gaining broader spaces in between frames.

Keep your camera at home, but leave the home yourself and

-) Get a lever knive (don’t know the right word) make yourself an adjustable plate with pins complementary to the perforation, adhere it to the base plate of that knive, adjust it the way that the knive cuts exactly between the frames… and keep your fingers off that knive's blade.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As there seems to by confusing around what of knife I'm referring to:

I mean a blade with a handle attached on side and a joint on the other by which it is connected to a base which edge forms the counterpart to that blade. Actually a scissors construction.

You'll find it in every graphics shop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These are often called a paper trimmer or guillotine in american english. I use a small Fiskars version with a 6 inch cutting capacity for cutting film. That helps a lot with narrow frame spacing.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    As there seems to by confusing around what of knife I'm referring to:

I mean a blade with a handle attached on side and a joint on the other by which it is connected to a base which edge forms the counterpart to that blade. Actually a scissors construction.

You'll find it in every graphics shop.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking of scissors:

You could even fix such an (adjustable) positioning device to a common household pair of scissors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yeah...i was thinking about just wasting a few frames in between pictures i know for sure i will end up enlarging. however, when i usually find that object, scene, angle, lens, etc. i usually experiment with different filters and depths of field. after that i change lenses and do it all over again. it's not uncommon for me to wrap off a whole roll of 36exp film on 2 different photographic scenes. so doing the spacing thing would get annoying after a while.
    i was hoping that there is a sensor i can take off that tells the winder when it's fully advanced one frame. then i can do 1.25 pumps each frame. it's too perfect to be realistic.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That pumping won’t work, you’ll have to do a full swing. You’d have to change gears.
    In case of a motorized film transport you’d have to do the same. But there might be (pure guessing) some optoelectronics that read the turns of that pinned spindle somehow. This could be an approach. Or somehow misleading the microprocessor of the camera. The same would have to be done if there was an IR-optoelectronic reading the perforations. But this all is rather out of the blue as I don’t know how modern cameras control film transport. Perhaps somebody else has got a brilliant idea.

I don’t cling to that cutting idea of mine, but I think some control of cutting between the frames would be a good approach. It might be however that I do not really understand your problem. Especially those `big borders´. That other, that language border can be quite annoying sometimes…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin