Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,344   Online: 780

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Easy way to mount lenses without a jam nut (mounting flange)

I have a barrel Kodak Anastigmat f4.5 8 1/2" lens without mounting flange that is pristine, huge, and shuterless. I decided to use it with my new Anniversary Speed Graphic, but since it is so heavy the lack of mounting flange put a damper on the plan. I figured out a safe, easy way to mount it today, and have done so. Here's what I did:

1) get a package of glazing points and some small wood screws
    2) drill pilot holes on the diagonals of your wooden lensboard, about 1/8" from the lens hole. Bend the point of the glazing points so they go into the hole while screwed to the edge. Bend the tip back up.
    3) screw the glazing points and screw the lens onto the lensboard, using the sharp bent tip of the glazing points as the thread!

Hopefully this will be useful to all of you cheap collectors of assorted stuff like me...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great idea.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Could you post a picture of a glazing point before and after the bending?
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

On the left the bent glazing point. On the right the glazing point as it comes out of the package.

The screw is the screw I used, the paper clip is a standard size clip, for scale.

Note: I had to bend the glazing points because my lens' thread were shorter than my lensboard was thick. You can use unbent points if the threads on the lens protrude through the hole onto the back of the lensboard... and save the trouble of bending them!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, this wins the "Red Green" award. I can only imagine what ragc could accomplish with a roll of duct tape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just love it! What a great and simple solution.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    OK, this wins the "Red Green" award. I can only imagine what ragc could accomplish with a roll of duct tape.
    What a great show that was! A gull winged car door set with a duct tape hinge...motorized! LOL!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    While I can never question the wisdom of Red Green - "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.", and "Men aren't lost, they just take the long way." - I think this idea might be just a tad more practical than duct taping the lens to the Packard shutter!
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    What a great idea! Thanks for posting this. Very ingenious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin