Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,677   Online: 730

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim:

Just so you know ...

Although I have disturbing anally retentive tendencies, I wasn't complaining about your spelling. It's just that I associate "nob" with something entirely different from "knob". I posted here, but it was as much in response to another thread that was running at the same time, with a lot more "nobs" as well.

It's sort of like an itch - you can only hold back from scratching it so long!

I just wish I could do what you are doing - build or rebuild my own camera, with knobs (or even nobs) of my own choosing.

Good luck in your fine projects.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt, are you of the Delta Kings?

Isn't it funny that no one said anything for such a long time? It's almost like 99.99% of us understood what Jim was saying. Despite my education I use the spell check every time because I often get it wrong, not in usage, but in plane old spelling. Get my drift.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Matt, are you of the Delta Kings?

Isn't it funny that no one said anything for such a long time? It's almost like 99.99% of us understood what Jim was saying. Despite my education I use the spell check every time because I often get it wrong, not in usage, but in plane old spelling. Get my drift.
    Curt:

Are there Delta Kings?

I expect that 100% of us understood what Jim was saying, but I may be wrong, especially with respect to those participants here who may be less familiar with English (just try looking up "nob" in a dictionary).

When I made my original post, I tried to make it in as light hearted a way as possible, because I wasn't complaining about spelling. I actually thought it was incorrect diction, and therefore a source of confusion, although after looking further into it, it may be that there is no word "nob" after all.

As it happens, "nob" is an acronym that means something different to me than it may mean to most, so it was one of those strange irritants that would continue to bug me if I did not respond to it.

Sort of like those threads that have either a spelling mistake or awkward word choice in the title - they keep showing up over, and over, and I notice them every time.

What can I say - I work with words all the time, and notice (and am discomforted by) these things. It is a curse .

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    What can I say - I work with words all the time, and notice (and am discomforted by) these things. It is a curse .

Matt
    You mean discomforting things like using too many commas used incorrectly, or unnecessary parenthesis? Like in your last post?

This isn't an English forum; it is a camera making and modification forum. There are very few people who write so clearly, using perfect grammar, sentence structure and spelling that they are above reproach when it comes to their writing style.

I am curious about something. Would you rather have perfect spelling or would you rather read about making and modifying cameras? Perhaps now we can get back to camera discussion instead of the off topic banter.

Hoping I was neither circumlocutious, nor pretentious in my reiteration of the purpose of this venue.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Guys, I try to not take life very seriously and have fun! This is a camera building discussion. I'm just looking for advice and inspiration from all. I have no problem with anyone's comments. Matt I can understand the frustration, it happens to me from time to time. Thanks for the nice comments. Camera building is addictive. Spell check done!!!!

Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin