Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,209   Online: 909

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

My new 8x20 strap!

Well after some research and going over design ideas in my head and on paper this is what I came up with. I found out that I have a Tandy Leather store in town. So I went in to see what they had. I found a nice 6' piece of leather strap and the screw in rivets. I made the brass brackets from my stock. The idea for the brass brackest came from my Zone VI 4x5. This camera has given me several ideas lately. I took the design and cut the left over Walnut from the 8x20 and started building an 11x14! I put knurled nobs on the top of the strap bracket so if I have to change the strap in the future I can undo the nobs and have easy access. Maybe I should clean my 4x5 more often! Thanks for everyone's ideas.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 07-16-2007 at 09:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I lost my post but anyways great going for using leather. I had a class in leather making in Junior High School along with metal, wood, plastics, jewelry, small engine repair, electronics and electricity shop classes. I can say that I had a special school that was heavy into technology. After all the Space Program was in full force and people who knew something and could make something were to be of value. Now the wood shop classes have been replace with how a tree grows classes.

Good going for using leather, it authentic and lasting and feels good to the touch and will get better and better with time. There used to be Tandy Leather Co. stores all over the US but now there a but a few. You are luck. BTW the best leather saddles are from Oregon.

http://www.severesaddles.com/

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt, thanks. This store is about 3 blocks from where I live. I'm glad I found it.

Jim

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Nice. I need to make a strap for mine, but I'm afraid it might not fit in my pack if I do! I like the hardware you did, very simple and clean...And wow that walnut is looking sweet Jim! So, when's it gonna be done? (rib, rib..)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nice work!

Another alternative I've used is a small leather dog collar (on 2 of my cameras). The ultimate for restoration/building is found at http://www.vandykes.com/subcategory/66/ however.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Colin and everyone. I know this is taking a long time. I'm at the bellows now. This will take a while. I'll be sure to post the finished results. I can't believe how easy this strap was to do.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes and it's not going to fall off either. I have heard people say, "Oh, don't pick it up by the old leather strap, it might break." Your's isn't going to break any time soon. There is a lot enjoyment in making things. It is very relaxing and keeps you thinking about what's next. Put's some fun into life. Im slowly working on two Seneca view cameras but want to get to the 11x14. I bought a screen from Dave last year and have rounded up springs, rack and pinion, the wood and hardware. I was looking for wood in dumpsters a dozen years ago when I was making odds and ends in the shop and ran across two planks of Honduras Mahogany. I will be able to make several cameras from them. Cabinet shops have scraps and most of the time give them away for free. One in town has open dumpsters and you have to compete with people picking it up for fire wood. Some is Oak, Pine, and long pieces of mouldings. I would guess that I have about $150.00 in parts for the 11x14 and that's including the expensive rack and pinion that was $100.00. The rest is not that expensive. It all comes down to time the determining factor. It takes a lot of time. That's what's called hand crafted. My first camera was a wood field camera and was made almost entirely by hand with files, hand saws and a lot of time and sweat. I was living in an Apartment and did it all on a coffee table on a board I would haul out in the evening in front of the tv or radio. At the time I was making it from only a couple of photographs from a magazine and a film holder.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I bought a camera from a fellow over on the LF forum recently and the things that the strap is attached to the camera have a small slit in them. Is this normal? I need to replace the strap and one knob. I already fixed the bellows.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Jim! Don't pay any attention to me, just a little good natured if tasteless harrassment. It is coming together very nice. That walnut I could gaze into like the brownest eyes...Great work.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 06-12-2007 at 08:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Colin, no harm no foul!! The great thing about the 8x20 now that it is almost done and I can step back and look at it is that I made it by hand! I was trying for a semi antique look or maybe a period look with some 21st century to it also if that makes any sense. I did learn a lot from building it. I made sure I took my time, especially on the finish. I mean it takes a long time to sand to 600-800 and then diamond wet polish to 1000 grit. The hand rubbed finish is so nice when I put the stain on it. The depth of the finish is amazing. I can always use the harassment/motivation from everyone so thanks.
    Diane, If you look closely at the first picture of the brass bracket you will see the slit that the strap goes through. Check to see if it is smooth. If not you will need to file it smooth or it will slit the leather at this point I'm going to have to smooth it on my Zone VI 4x5.
    Curt, using the flatbed folding design like my Zone VI 4x5 is very interesting. It actually looks like it may be easier than the Korona/Kodak 2-D style 8x20. I have some of the rails cut and I am now sanding pieces and I find it very relaxing.I must be nuts!! It takes a while to go from 100 grit to 800 grit but when I get to the 800 and the shine comes up it is oh so nice. You can build these things in your apartment. Using thin stock has been the answer for me.Whatever works is the key. When my inspiration goes I print or go out and shoot some film. At that point it is what format? Thanks all.

JIm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin