Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,618   Online: 1065

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

What front standard to use?

Hi folks, I want to make an 8x10 field camera and would like some suggestions as to the front standard/lens plate size to use. Is there a standard size I should match? I have an old b&J, should I match that or is something else better for a folding camera? Also, could anyone give me some tips on finding the metal sliders for the lens plates, and film back or do I have to make these?
    Thanks for any help! I find this forum a great source of info!
    Erik

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you have a B&J, I'd use it as the model. It's large enough to handle any shutters I've ever seen. They share the same outside dimensions as the Deardorff round corner 6" boards, but the thickness of the outer 'lip' is different and the 'dorff is certainly a very well designed folding camera.

I made my own metal slider (just one, for the bottom -- the top is a flat blade) using brass strip stock from the hardware store. It's not hard to do -- one can do it with a drill and a round file and some patience (or you can cheat and use a mill, like I do :-D ). You just need a vice to bend the ends up.

Ed

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Ed,
    Was just wondering if the front standard would be too large and not be able to comfortably fit inside the rear standard when folded if I modeled it after the b&j. I'm trying for a compact 8x10 or am I fooling myself I want to be able to transport it in a backpack which I can't do with the b&j which is too large to move far from the car. I've never seen a deardorf in person, but I have a shen hao 4x5 which folds up nice and neat and would like to emulate that look only upsized to 8x10. Thanks for the help.
    Erik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd go for Sinar sized 140x140. I can't think you'll want any lens too big to fit that. You can then make/buy a Sinar to Linhof adapter like Shen provides with it's bigger cameras. This way all your smaller lenses can be mounted on Linhof boards for both your Shen 4x5 and the new 8x10. Use the big Sinar board for recessed boards.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Brilliant Idea Nick (as I smack myself on the head), although my 4x5 lenses don't cover 8x10, my 8x10 lenses can now work on my 4x5.
    Another question please:
    It seems much easier to make a front tilt using axis rather than base tilt construction wise. Is this foolish, are there any pitfalls I might run into?
    Thanks again,
    Erik

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Erik, I think you need to copy the Shen Hao. Just use the measurements from this camera and up-scale them from there. Get some paper or cardboard and cut it to 12"x12" for the back ground glass frame. Then you can make sure the front standard is the right height to fold into the base and back. make your other measurements from this. I'm building an 11x14 camera designed from my Zone VI 4x5 as my design idea. Try the Wisner website for some measurements if you like. He has the spec's on his cameras and maybe this would help. Find some other manufactures sites and see if they have spec's you can check out. If you are concerned about the metal parts of the camera try making them out of hardwood. I'm going to try this on the 11x14 and see what happens. All walnut and a small amount of brass. Good luck to you. I hope you won't become obsessed like I have.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Eric - there is one thing that I can add regarding some questions you have brought up.

The question of the axis tilt vrs. the base tilt for the front standard - axis tilt is likely easier when it comes to focusing because you don't necessarily have to re-focus after you tilt. With a base tilt, you may have to re-focus. However, the thing to keep in mind in your design with axis tilt is that if you design your front standard so you raise/lower your lens board with the same tightening knob that you tilt with, its pretty difficult (an annoying) to try to keep the two in sinc while you are only moving one. I have an old B&J 4 x 5 that works this way and I finally stopped using it because of that.

I have recently completed designing and building my 8 x 20 and have prepared a journal describing and illustrating what I went through. If you are interested, shoot me an E-mail off line and I'll let you know more about it. Designing and building your own camera is an enjoyable and rewarding project. Good luck in your efforts.

Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin