Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,136   Online: 1056

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    CNC routers do come in very small sizes as well, Hermes computer controlled sign shop machines. I once used one to make my lens boards n negative carriers.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Steve,

Sounds like you need to spray lubrication onto the bit while it is cutting. A messy prospect at best if you mill isn't designed to deal with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I still say contact some of the DIY CNC people and see who wants to take on the project. Some of those DIY machines are really very nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve, if it's an Excellon drill/router, you should be able to get the speeds down quite a bit from the 60Krpm. Cutting aluminum you do need coolant/lubricant. On my router I ran 1/8" single O-flute Onsrud bit at 30Krpm around 45-50 ipm for roughing passes, lots and lots of coolant, for finishing passes, I ran a 2 flute at 25Krpm, 7-10 ipm.

Celac, contact Tim Goldstein at http://www.a2zcnc.com ,tell him Erie Patsellis told you to call, he may be able to do it in the time/cost requirements you have. I'd offer to run it, but my router is currently broken down and palleted, and I haven't finished my CNC benchtop mill, and it may be a year or two at the current rate of progress.

erie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    Steve, if it's an Excellon drill/router, you should be able to get the speeds down quite a bit from the 60Krpm. Cutting aluminum you do need coolant/lubricant. On my router I ran 1/8" single O-flute Onsrud bit at 30Krpm around 45-50 ipm for roughing passes, lots and lots of coolant, for finishing passes, I ran a 2 flute at 25Krpm, 7-10 ipm.
    It is indeed an Excellon, and it's about 18 years old now so is getting a bit cranky. I can get it down to about 8,000 RPM (I think) from the 20,000 RPM I usually use but this is still a bit quick for the cutters I have. Or so I have been told.
    I will have to do a bit more research. I have some single and double flute bits so a bit more experimentation is needed.

Despite that, it is a fantastic machine to have in the factory as it gets used to make alsorts of jigs and fixtures which I used to make by hand.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve,
    I shoot for a quarter to a half thou toothload max, if you believe machinists feed and speed tables, they want about 5x that. Coolant is neccesary, as is constant contouring.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a Hobby Machinist Forum I believe. One of my friends has a CNC mill and a lathe which he did all the conversion including adding three axis scales and read outs. It's not all that costly.
    It's not the camera......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Frey,
    there are many hobby CNC forums and no, it's not terribly hard to build a machine, if you have an interest in it, email me off forum and I can point you in a few directions...

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post

Celac, contact Tim Goldstein at http://www.a2zcnc.com ,tell him Erie Patsellis told you to call, he may be able to do it in the time/cost requirements you have. I'd offer to run it, but my router is currently broken down and palleted, and I haven't finished my CNC benchtop mill, and it may be a year or two at the current rate of progress.

erie
    Erie,
    Thanks for the lead. I was reading your other thread and I can imagine you have a full plate. However, at the rate I make drawings it may just be that long before I have everthing completed to hand off.
    Celac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Der Celac,

I've been to the Seitz factory and met the brothers. I'm sure they'll do very small runs -- Alpa isn't exactly a mass production item, and in fact, nothing they make is mass produced. Thomas and Ursula (owners of Alpa) are non-engineers, but the Seitz brothers translated quite vague ideas into gorgeous cameras. I'd certainly recommend that you contact them, but as I say, it won't be cheap.

Cheers,

roger
    Roger,
    Thanks. I admire ofcourse both Seitz and Alpa (both incarnations of the latter). How can one not admire such a lovely mix of the esoteric and the practical. In the same way that car collectors imagine happening upon a "barn find" I can see discovering one of those fabulous roll to roll panoramic enlargers... anyway you get the idea. I'm afraid that I read into your first post a bit of irony which was perhaps not intended on your part. It seemed difficult to imagine an established firm such as Seitz taking on small jobs, "over the transom" as it were. I appreciate that you meant to provide a practical suggestion based on your experience.
    Celac

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin