Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,293   Posts: 1,535,470   Online: 1020

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Has anyone used emachineshop.com for any work? The concept is intriguing and I will look at their software tomorrow. If they are reliable it could be a great resource.

- Justin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    Frey,
    there are many hobby CNC forums and no, it's not terribly hard to build a machine, if you have an interest in it, email me off forum and I can point you in a few directions...

erie
    My problem is funding that project and finding time, as I have friends which will make things for me it's not high on my list. I'm usually in my shop covered with saw dust, making things for clients making money
    It's not the camera......

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Steve,
    I shoot for a quarter to a half thou toothload max, if you believe machinists feed and speed tables, they want about 5x that.

erie
    Hi:

You can believe that, in Aluminum, on a rigid machine, with a rigid setup, with sharp tools, and with the horsepower. Most home machines lack the horsepower or rigidity to do that. The home machine I am building will almost do that, but not quite. The one at work will, and more up to about .010, but that takes 20 horsepower.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    There is a Hobby Machinist Forum I believe. One of my friends has a CNC mill and a lathe which he did all the conversion including adding three axis scales and read outs. It's not all that costly.
    CNC Zone can be found at:

cnczone.com

There are LOTS of guys in there that would be interested.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    One of my friends has a CNC mill and a lathe which he did all the conversion including adding three axis scales and read outs. It's not all that costly.
    I have more than 5 thousand dollars into mine, so far, where are these inexpensive machines? Are they made of fiberboard or steel?
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Frey,
    there are many hobby CNC forums and no, it's not terribly hard to build a machine, if you have an interest in it, email me off forum and I can point you in a few directions...

erie
    Really? Not hard?
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not terribly, it's the same game as anything else, choose any 2 of fast, cheap or precise.

You can make a heck of a good machine with some extrusions from Techno Isel, servomotors, drives, and a couple of weeks work. Of course the choice of spindle is up to the builder, I have a Precise 1.75hp watercooled 40Krpm spindle that I use. I have sources for a 1.5 hp spindle that has a VFD built in, uses ER25 collets and costs about $1500.
    That's generally the lowest end spindle I'd reccomend off the shelf. With some mods, a 3 1/2 hp Porter Cable can work, with upgraded bearings, a better cooling system and balancing.

erie

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Not terribly, it's the same game as anything else, choose any 2 of fast, cheap or precise.

You can make a heck of a good machine with some extrusions from Techno Isel, servomotors, drives, and a couple of weeks work. Of course the choice of spindle is up to the builder, I have a Precise 1.75hp watercooled 40Krpm spindle that I use. I have sources for a 1.5 hp spindle that has a VFD built in, uses ER25 collets and costs about $1500.
    That's generally the lowest end spindle I'd reccomend off the shelf. With some mods, a 3 1/2 hp Porter Cable can work, with upgraded bearings, a better cooling system and balancing.

erie
    That would be aluminum though. There is a reason they make industrial machines from materials that aren't aluminum.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    oh I don't know, alot of the gantry machines are Aluminum, I've done some hybrids, either epoxycrete/al or steel/modular al superstructures, depends on where your needs fall. 99% of my customers (signshops) don't need sub thou accuracy. Heck, some machinist I've talked to will actually admit (reluctantly) to the hollowness of the .0001 accuracy of their machines in non temp. controlled shops, w/o coolant fed tools, leadscrews, etc. I've worked on some big, big iron (Okuma, Makino) but in reality outside of heavy, production manufacturing is it really needed? Can you hold tenths without temperature control and aggresive tooling and workpiece cooling?
    (in my experience failure to account for coeff. of expansion errors swamp machine errors, by order of magnitudes)

erie

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Think again that if your parts could be manufactured from plastics If you want to produce camera parts . I think you can draw your part with cad cam program and you can get small quantity rapid prototyping parts from plastic for example epoxy. Or you can order a rapid prototyping mold for to produce your parts with carbon graphite powder and epoxy blend.
    Rapid prototyping is fast and cheap.

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin