Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,458   Online: 772

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dan,

Great job! I received the disc and it looks great. Im going through the word doc now. So many ideas....Need more wood.
    Thanks for the great work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung View Post
    Mike, we were all that way when we started. The thing is to get some cheap (Free is the best way) wood and some OLD I say again OLD hand tools and learn to sharpen them yourself by reading books on sharpening. Watch the Woodwright shop with Roy Underhill. Roy can teach you how to saw, plane and pare wood to perfection. Read books, seek out the old tool users (we are often called Galoots). Learn by doing, failing, analyzing why you failed and then doing again using that analysis. You CAN do this thing if you want it enough.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company
    Barry:

I have been trying for close to 40 years now and have come to admit I am hopeless with wood and tools. I really admire craftsmanship but it has to be looking over the craftsman's shoulder.

My dream is to get a 7x17 camera in the next year or so but it will have to be bought

Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Barry:

I have been trying for close to 40 years now and have come to admit I am hopeless with wood and tools. I really admire craftsmanship but it has to be looking over the craftsman's shoulder.

My dream is to get a 7x17 camera in the next year or so but it will have to be bought

Mike
    OK, hopefully I will have mine rolled out by the time you need to buy. I would truly enjoy having a "workshop" where people can come to my workshop and assemble their own cameras from pre-made camera parts. I truly enjoy meeting my fellow photographers and especially camera builders.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    8x10 Format

The Dan Dozer Camera Manual

@Dan Dozer

http://www.apug.org/classifieds/show...1&cat=2&page=6

dan,

I wanted to acknowlege receipt of your CD Rom, and thank you for the tremendous work you have done.
    Your manual is setting high standards for further publications in this domain.

I really have appreciated the nice hand coloured sketches showing step by step how you realized your project.
    Also the high resolution photos integrated in the word document are of much better quality then some highly
    compressed pdf's where details are no longer visible.

A nice touch is the lovely background on your photographs, inmidst of the palm trees...

waiting impatiently for volume nr2

---george

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, Dan has done a fine job. Many ideas to incorporate, and lotsa planning help.

Way to go!!!

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks George and John for the nice words. By the way, the palm trees do look lovely, but it's also 110 degrees here right now in the desert. The photo quality is what I wanted to achieve so the detail was there. However, not being that much of an expert in photoshop and word, that is also what drove the file size so large that requires it to be mailed on a CD instead of downloading. I'm sure that there is a way to reduce the file size, but I spent so much time on this whole project to date, I now just want to have time to go out and shoot. Dealing with the computer file is a project for the future. One interested reader suggested Lulu - a self publishing website where people can order a printed out copy directly on line. I may look into that for the "Second Edition".

This weekend, I'm putting the camera to it's first real "road" test - a trip up the Palm Springs aerial tramway to 8,500 feet (where it's 40 degrees cooler than the desert floor) with the big backpack system I've put together. If the whole backpack thing works out well, I'll put a photo or two on the forum for those others with the big cameras to see how I'm carrying it all around.

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung View Post
    I would truly enjoy having a "workshop" where people can come to my workshop and assemble their own cameras from pre-made camera parts.
    That would be one of the coolest workshop/retreats I could think of. Kinda makes my mind run wild.

Alan.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist View Post
    That would be one of the coolest workshop/retreats I could think of. Kinda makes my mind run wild.

Alan.

Calm Alan, calm.....

I am finished with all of the heavy work on the new milling machine. Now all that I have to do is attach the motors and the router spindle. Maybe after that we will finally be ready to make some product and get it into the field for testing. A workshop is a ways off but something I really want to do.

Dan, the journal is great, thanks for taking the time to document your progress, I know how much slower that makes things go.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin