Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,235   Online: 852

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I HAVE a new idea , if we made a hole in the flat panel and inject high pressure abbrasive liquid through the hole and if we contact the high pressure norrow liquid zone with moving glass , we can shape the glass !!!!!!!!!!!!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mustafa,

With your last idea (moving glass), if I got it right, you are imitating industry techniques.
    But I thought you were trying to come up with a technique people at Apug could reasonably employ in their home workshop.

I assume that grinding lathe with that cam would be the most reaonable way so far. Though I'm still not sure where on the lathe to position such a cam best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But I'm worried about a person trying the cut the lens without water. The glass powder will slowly kill you if you breath it long enough, just like Black Lung!
    It's not the camera......

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes AgX , my main concern is homebrewable technologies. My last post is very interesting and it can be made with magnetic liquids.
    Magnetorheological finishing commercial technique employ a wet long horizontal zone as a freezed magnetic liquid zone but my method is doable at home. pump glass
    xxxx mag xxxx plate glass
    xxxxxxx netic xxxxxxxxxx magnetic liquid glass
    xxxxxxx wind xxxxxxxxxx with particles inside glass
    xxxx ing xxxx plate glass
    pump glass rotating and moving on
    a cam

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    pump
    magneticxxxxxxxxxxx wallll glass
    winding xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx glass
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx glass
    xxxxxxxxxxx walllll glass rotates and moves on cam
    magnetic liquid
    with particles inside
    pump

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    But I'm worried about a person trying the cut the lens without water. The glass powder will slowly kill you if you breath it long enough, just like Black Lung!
    In case this has not been referred to here and at that former thread it is surely because it should be obvious, even metal turning is done mostly with cooling/lubricating and when I grind the edge of a simple glass pane by hand I use waterproof silicone-carbide paper and water.
    That encapsulation I referred to was intended to keep that abrasive cooling/cleaning water of the slide/sledge parts of the lathe.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hello , Let me write a long post to clarify my last posts.
    When we read the posts which everyone sent , there are two lens making methods appear.
    First , turning the glass and carving it with diamond tip
    Second , turning a female lens mold and carve a glass with liquid abrasive jacket which placed between turning female mold and glass.
    These are the technologies
    which require expensive motors
    cnc machined parts
    cnc machined female mold
    electronics
    sensors
    lots of noise
    expensive vibration dampers etc etc.
    My latest idea is to use pressurized injected abrasive liquids and turning glass piece contacted with one of the wet zone. glass move and turn its own axis and self shaping. may be this glass piece might be turned to a closer shape to the final shape before go to liquid treatment.
    This can be made very slowly.
    Problem could be the wet contact zone shape and its stability over moving glass.
    I think , if we want to control the wet contact zone shape , we can use magnetic liquids.
    this is a drawing of the machine.
    magnetic winding
    magnetic liquid with its pumps , its pumped because it has to move for grind.
    magnetic liquid wet zone opening for to contact with glass surrounded with walls.
    glass piece which is in contact with narrow opening which is a house of magnetic liquid. Pumps always shake , move inside of magnetic liquid but magnetic winding keep the shape of zone stabil.
    Finally , I have a new idea about turning the glass. It can be used extremelly low speeds but higher force.
    I saw at russian telescope and satellite optics making web site that russians were deep coarse step carving the glass very slowly . I think there is a place for ultra cheap slow rpm machines and diamond tip.
    Final carving could bemade by slow flowing liquids.
    By this way , we use cheap motors and pumps , no cnc but cams and no need of vibration dampers.

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I work in the lab of a Lenscrafters store. We use a cnc lathe with a diamond carbide bit to cut the lens blank material to the desired curve, then move the shaped lens to an orbital finer that removes the tooling marks, followed by a polishing step in the same machine. The polisher is an aluminum oxide liquid medium and felt pads. Our specific set-up is for CR-39 plastic and polycarbonate material, but other labs use machines for glass. The steps are the same, just a different model of machine. These machines can be purchased second hand from any optical lab that is closing down. Ours is computer operated, but older ones are mechanical.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greg,

And what about doing the polishing too on that lathe, as I hinted at in an earlier thread?
    This way one would nod loose that freedom of form cutting/grinding on a lathe yields.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greg, do you do more than cut pre-made lenses to fit frames?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin