Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,627   Online: 987

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ash. It's cheap, light, and strong. http://www.hardwoodstore.com/ They have lots of other stuff too. Tell Hil I sent you, he did a great job on the wood for my tripod! The lumber was ready for finish sanding when I received it.

If you want Walnut you might see what Barry Young has in stock, search for his contact info (he is a member here).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    You are highly unlikely to find real cuban mahogany. It's been gone forever or at least post WWII. I think the mahogany you'll find is either Hondurian or Luan. Neither is at risk.

If you want PC wood how about North American cherry?
    Cuban Mahogany is the same species as Honduras Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla). Mahogany grows from southern Mexico through Columbia, Venezuela and the upper Amazon and it's tributaries in Peru, Bolivia and Brazil. African mahogany is a different species (Khaya spp).

Lauan is not even a close relative of true mahogany. It just has a similar colour. It grows in Asia, and another trade name is red and white Meranti. It is various species of Shorea. Nothing wrong with the wood, but I don't know how suitable it would be for cameras.

Honduras mahogany is now grown in plantations, so it is unlikely to disappear. However, all tropical rainforest species are at some long term risk - mainly because of the conversion of forests to agriculture (often after non-sustainable logging or illegal logging), especially Asian forests.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Bamboo is very PC for flooring. I saw a bamboo floor in a new National Park Service facility, and it looked pretty neat. Is it stable enough for cameras (probably in some laminated form)? It would certainly be very light weight, and it's an easily renewable resource.
    A grass camera

I would think it would have to be laminated in order to be stable enough for a camera. But it sure is tough stuff!
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rosewood is commonly some species of Dalbergia, and grows in the rainforests of South and Central America, and in India. It has the reputation of being more difficult to work than mahogany, but it is a beautiful wood.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

What woods are PC

HI:

Be careful with exotic woods. The sanding dust can be toxic. Native White and black ash are beautiful when finished. Native black walnut can't be beat for stability and grain when finished.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't forget plentiful Red and White Oak from Kentucky and Tennessee; you can find the solid flooring in about any flooring store and it isn't too expensive. Problem is, you have to re-saw and shape it...

I have a 90' tall Cherry tree and 120' tall Black Walnut tree on my property that are bothering the 500 year old oaks (about 3 with a circumference of close to 20'), so they may have to become planks in a couple of years. Being this close to Kentucky, its not a problem to have someone come up with a portable saw, cut the planks and then transport them back to a kiln to dry. I hope between them, I can build a full set of built-in bookcases and have enough left over to build as many LF cameras as I could ever want.

Too bad, there aren't any red dot artar trees around... Hear they grow further West, out in Nevada...

On second thought, maybe you mine those...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to be sure that the wood you buy is from a sustainably managed forest, make sure it is, "certified". The certification is done by independent third parties, and it's a rigorous procedure to obtain the certification. If it is certified, they will advertise it as such. Buying only certified wood is probably the one thing consumers can do that might ensure proper management of tropical rainforests.
    Last edited by johnnywalker; 07-24-2007 at 08:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What about Sitka Spruce?
    Strong.
    Lightweight.
    Too Soft maybe?

Dan
    ... Hmmm..., f5.13 @ 1/23 should do it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bliorg View Post
    I second that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin