Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,079   Online: 964

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dphill View Post
    What about Sitka Spruce?
    Strong.
    Lightweight.
    Too Soft maybe?

Dan
    I'd say way too soft. It's easily dented by a fingernail.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    1)I think spalded is spelled 'spalted'. Unless you're British and spell spelled 'spelt'...I dunno.

2) Maybe not at the top of the toxic list, but I thought walnut dust is still a hazard occupationally. Maybe not at hobby levels of usage. Before hearing this, I recall a particularly bad taste in my mouth doing wood turning in school in the 70's with walnut over any of the other woods I used.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    .Look for anything certified by the FSC (Forest Stewardship Council).

As for Cuban mahogany (Swietenia mahagoni), although very closely related, it is not the same as Honduras mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla). Cuban mahogany has a warmer color and "works" better than the Honduran.

Cuban mahogany IS still available from at least one sustainably-harvested spot in the South Pacific. See http://www.bluemoonexoticwood.com/index1.html

Although I have heard rumblings about whether they are still actively importing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dphill View Post
    What about Sitka Spruce?
    Strong.
    Lightweight.
    Too Soft maybe?

Dan
    Don't let Willie Nelson use it.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    .Look for anything certified by the FSC (Forest Stewardship Council).

As for Cuban mahogany (Swietenia mahagoni), although very closely related, it is not the same as Honduras mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla). Cuban mahogany has a warmer color and "works" better than the Honduran.

Cuban mahogany IS still available from at least one sustainably-harvested spot in the South Pacific. See http://www.bluemoonexoticwood.com/index1.html

Although I have heard rumblings about whether they are still actively importing it.
    Odd, I'd never heard of Swietenia mahagoni until now. The reference book I mostly use (Tropical Timbers of the World) doesn't have it listed. Another reference says that Swietenia macrophylla is sometimes called Cuban mahogany, and it does grow in Cuba. A search on the net found it though, so Nick and Terence are right.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    Odd, I'd never heard of Swietenia mahagoni until now. The reference book I mostly use (Tropical Timbers of the World) doesn't have it listed. Another reference says that Swietenia macrophylla is sometimes called Cuban mahogany, and it does grow in Cuba. A search on the net found it though, so Nick and Terence are right.
    I just looked it up in my books. Two (The Wood Book and Woods of the World) don't list it, and one (Cabinetmaking Timbers, published 1933) does. Odd.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm fully confident that you have enough wood lying around your home to make a camera without having to purchase more.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I've had great success with curly maple and cherry. My last camera was made from mahogany which I still feel a little guilty about, but it was hard to pass up the weight savings against cherry or walnut. Maple is often overlooked, but it is remarkably stable if dried right. I made a fiddleback maple 4x5 that is going on 3 years old and is just as silky smooth in the rainforest as in the desert...And I got the material for it from a neighbor's firewood pile!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I salvaged a bunch of Gum Wood form pipe shipping cases which were thrown into a big dumpster about 20 years ago. That wood is tough stuff, resawing that work if your saw blade is dull you will set of the smoke detectors, but with most of the hardwoods that is true. I'm presently using it to build a 120 view camera using RB67 film backs.
    It's not the camera......

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    What do you think of Koa?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin