Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,818   Online: 845
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Dried-up lubricants make for stiffness, but it needs to be a pretty cheap, nasty lens (such as a generic 500/6,3 refractor) before you can get a wobble on the focusing mount.
    Not true; I've seen plenty well made lenses in junk drawers of used camera stores that had wobbly lens mounts and barrels.

    Some people beat the hell out of their cameras, throw them in the floorboards of jeeps, bounce all over Hell and back, and literally shake the screws out of the lens.

    Its all relative; no lens can withstand everything...

  2. #12

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Not true; I've seen plenty well made lenses in junk drawers of used camera stores that had wobbly lens mounts and barrels.

    Some people beat the hell out of their cameras, throw them in the floorboards of jeeps, bounce all over Hell and back, and literally shake the screws out of the lens.

    Its all relative; no lens can withstand everything...
    Sorry: I meant wobbles from dried up lubricants in the focusing mounts alone. I completely agree about wobbles in battered lenses. I should have made myself clearer.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,957
    Not too long ago I too had a "Nikon 50mm 1.4 manual focus AIS lens in almost new condition except for a bit of..."

    I wouldn't call what my lens was doing a 'wobble' but more of a dry sounding, looseness. After a good professional serviceing (which cost about $75 if I can remember correctly) by an Authorized Nikon Repair shop it was really 'like new'. Damping grease is used in the focussing threads by the manufacturer and need to be renewed occasionally.

  4. #14
    snegron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hot, Muggy, Florida
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Not too long ago I too had a "Nikon 50mm 1.4 manual focus AIS lens in almost new condition except for a bit of..."

    I wouldn't call what my lens was doing a 'wobble' but more of a dry sounding, looseness. After a good professional serviceing (which cost about $75 if I can remember correctly) by an Authorized Nikon Repair shop it was really 'like new'. Damping grease is used in the focussing threads by the manufacturer and need to be renewed occasionally.
    I have an older Nikkor S C manual focus Non Ai 50mm 1.4 that has a dry focus fealing to it but no wobble like my 50mm 1.4 AIS. I don't mind the dry feeling as much as I do the wobble. It is next to impossible to achieve accurate focus with a wobbly lens. As soon as I focus on something, I let go or even slightly move the focusing ring, the picture shifts or is out of focus. Sadly I have only had this lens several months, purchased it from KEH.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Montgomery, Il/USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,967
    Roger
    The amount of grease in a helical to dry up certainly is dependent on the amount of use that lens has had. Grease is forced up & down the helical(migration) to one end of the range or the other or both.

    Granted the Leitz & Zeiss lenses are hand lapped but you're not suggesting they're not lubed at all are you?

    I think the reason for the wobble is simply a well used, not abused lens.

    Note:A heavy grease isn't needed to take up the wobble, the proper grease is spread up & down the helical(appx 1" or less in most cases) by the rotation of the focusing ring.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Roger
    The amount of grease in a helical to dry up certainly is dependent on the amount of use that lens has had. Grease is forced up & down the helical(migration) to one end of the range or the other or both.

    Granted the Leitz & Zeiss lenses are hand lapped but you're not suggesting they're not lubed at all are you?

    I think the reason for the wobble is simply a well used, not abused lens.

    Note:A heavy grease isn't needed to take up the wobble, the proper grease is spread up & down the helical(appx 1" or less in most cases) by the rotation of the focusing ring.
    Dear John,

    Of course they're lubricated but I'm suggesting that in order to get an actual wobble, as distinct from stiffness, the focusing mount needs to be either damaged or of very poor quality, not merely poorly lubricated.

    Cheers,

    Roger
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin