Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,471   Online: 972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Can Lens Wobble be Repaired?

I have a Nikon 50mm 1.4 manal focus AIS lens in almost new condition except for a bit of wobble when I focus. It seems like the focusing ring is not as tight as it should be. When I turn the focus ring and aquire a perfect focus, I notice a bit of wobble that shifts the front focusing ring/element and takes the image out of focus.

I have other lenses that have similar issues to a smaller degree. I was wondering if there is an easy repair for this. Replacing these lenses is not a smart idea at this time because the glass elements are near perfect. The lenses are almost new except for that little wobble issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The oldest trick in the book is to put really stiff grease on the helical focus gears.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    but not too stiff, otherwise you'll need a strap wrench to focus it.

erie

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've had a similar problem repaired professionally once or twice, and right now I have two lenses that I keep meaning to send in for the same repair, a 35/2,8 PC-Nikkor and a 90/2,5 Vivitar Series 1 Macro. If you like the lenses, the repairs aren't too expensive.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    I've had a similar problem repaired professionally once or twice, and right now I have two lenses that I keep meaning to send in for the same repair, a 35/2,8 PC-Nikkor and a 90/2,5 Vivitar Series 1 Macro. If you like the lenses, the repairs aren't too expensive.
    Did your repair technician indicate what the problem was? Was it something that could be corrected with thicker grease as Kino mentioned? I wonder if a track on the focusing is worn and in need of replacement?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Did your repair technician indicate what the problem was? Was it something that could be corrected with thicker grease as Kino mentioned? I wonder if a track on the focusing is worn and in need of replacement?
    Sure, that is probably the problem.

The grease is an old 'Grapes of Wrath' cure; cheap and it works... for a while.

If you plan on using the lens for a few more decades and parts are still available, I'd send it in for a proper repair.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    No, he didn't say. As far as I can see, having most recently seen it in a damaged Biogon, it seems to be related to mechanical damage and one of the internal mount components coming loose. Some are held in place with three screws; my suspicion is that this sort of ring is jarred loose. With the Biogon in particular, it was definitely not lubricant-related, nor should that be possible in a top-quality lens (cheaper ones are another matter).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless, as Roger suggested there was some physical damage or a loose screw what you're looking at its old grease having dried up or migrated somewhere & the lens needs a cla.
    If, as Kino suggested it's worn to the point of sloppiness, replace it with another lens. It'll be less expensive.
    For what it's worth the helicals in the Nikkors are aluminum & brass so it is possible that it's worn out, but not likely.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Same here

Ironically, I had the exact same thing happen to me.

The very first SLR I bought was a Nikon F2S with the same lens.
    Before I even had a chance to use it, I noticed the wabble.

I ended up exchanging it for another new one.

Noticed that all the lenses mentioned, except one, are Nikkor.
    Wonder if it's a problem with them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Unless, as Roger suggested there was some physical damage or a loose screw what you're looking at its old grease having dried up or migrated somewhere & the lens needs a cla.
    If, as Kino suggested it's worn to the point of sloppiness, replace it with another lens. It'll be less expensive.
    For what it's worth the helicals in the Nikkors are aluminum & brass so it is possible that it's worn out, but not likely.
    Dear John,

I second your advice to replace a lens that is so worn as to have become sloppy, but I'm not so sure about the likelihood of migratory grease. I've been taking pictures seriously for 40+, using cameras up to about 100 years old, including a good number from the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. ABout 25 years ago I wrote a book called A History of the 35mm Still Camera (Focal Press 1984) and I actually pulled a few cameras apart for that.

Dried-up lubricants make for stiffness, but it needs to be a pretty cheap, nasty lens (such as a generic 500/6,3 refractor) before you can get a wobble on the focusing mount.

The focusing mounts on the very best lenses (Leica, Zeiss, and a few others) are hand-lapped, and most good lenses use dissimilar metals in the helicals because these bind a lot less than pairs of similar metals. A hard (possibly anodised) light alloy and brass should not wear significantly in anything like normal use, but if both components are made of soft light alloy (East German lenses from the 40s and 50s, cheap Japanese lenses from the 60s) it's possible that they used LOTS of grease to disguise sloppiness from new.

Cheers,

Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin