Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,133   Online: 1075

Shooter
    Medium Format

Where can you learn?

Good evening!

I've been interested in camera repair/maintenance for some time. Mainly as a hobby, to tinker with them, clean them, adjust shutter and so forth.
    However, I have no clue as to where you can learn about this stuff, and where you can get the needed tools and whatnot.
    Are there schools? Courses? Books? Web sites? Any thoughts are welcomed.

Lastly I hope you all have a nice weekend!

/Ljusdahl

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can also try edromney.com. He has a lot of repair manuals that he has written. I have a couple and they seem pretty informative with lots of pictures.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljusdahl View Post
    Good evening!

I've been interested in camera repair/maintenance for some time. Mainly as a hobby, to tinker with them, clean them, adjust shutter and so forth.
    However, I have no clue as to where you can learn about this stuff, and where you can get the needed tools and whatnot.
    Are there schools? Courses? Books? Web sites? Any thoughts are welcomed.

Lastly I hope you all have a nice weekend!

/Ljusdahl
    Buy all of the Thomas Thomosy books. They are excellent and will pay for themselves in cameras NOT destroyed. The Romney manuals are junk but sometimes junk is better than nothing. The best repair manuals were made by National Camera who are now long gone. Ebay search for Natcam and National Camera to pick up a few repair manuals from them.

For tools google watchmaker supplies and ebay search them too.

The best way to learn is to intern with a working camera repair shop. Call them all up in your area and ask if you can join the team.

Good luck

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    35mm
    Can anyone advise or comment on the Graflex Repair manuals (and similar) I see on ebay? Curious if these would sufficiently show how the cameras are constructed, in case someone wanted to make one from scratch. I have learned an awful lot of stuff just looking at the different camera types, etc. on apug, ebay, etc. Thanks for any comments, input.

As Ansel used to say, "Take a picture, it will last longer".

paulie

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I thought Ed Romney passed away. If that's correct, next question is whether anyone is still selling his stuff.

I have learned I cannot be taught to fix a shutter. My next quest is to learn to keep my hands out of them. I'm even dangerous with shutter soaks. Do NOT use teflon-based mold-release sprays or bulk liquids. (I learned that too).
    Murray

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin