Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,755   Online: 930

Thread: Zone VI 4x10

Shooter
    35mm RF

Zone VI 4x10

Here are a couple in progress photos of a 4x10 back adapted to a Zone VI 4x5 camera. I figure I am about a 1/4 of the way through. Unfortunately, I will not have rear focus ability as the rack on the Zone VI was custom made according to Richard Ritter. The bellows is a paper mock up built according to Barry Youngs book. I figure on about 360mm of draw. BTW, it is not a good idea to try to fold the bellows while watching the football game. The back will be a combination of Barry's and Dan Dozer's design.

Thanks to Barry, Dan and Richard for their information. Also thanks to my buddy Mark at the Chicago School of Woodworking for allowing me access to his shop. ( You think a Unisaw is the bee's knees? you should try a Felder table saw.)

With a little luck I should be making photos by Christmas.

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010204.JPG   P1010205.JPG   P1010208.JPG  
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Looks great.
    Nothing beats working in a nice shop with the right tools. I noticed the joints on the back piece. Are they finger or slight dovetails? Hard to tell exactly. What type of wood are you using?

Great to see the project.

Alan.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What are you doing for the swing? It looks like there is a center pivot point, but I couldn't tell what you were doing to lock it down.

Looks great!

George
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Eric,

You're making great progress and your design solution looks very interesting. Craftsmanship looks very good as well. I'm glad that "the Journal" was helpful to you. Best of luck from here on and make sure you post some photos of your new creation.

Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the positive responses. A lot of my projects tend to languish from over thinking, so I actually sketched things out this time.

The parts are red oak as this is what I had laying around. The back is going to be ash for the same reason. The rear frame is joined with finger joints. I accomplished both shift and swing with one bolt sliding in a groove underneath. This looked good on paper, but in practice doesn't work well as it tends to move around unless I really tighten it down. I am going to have to rethink this one.

The back is up next followed by the bellows.

Thanks again

Eric

Shooter
    35mm RF

Getting closer

I am just about done with all the parts and pieces. I just need to make the frame to attach the bellows to the front standards and fit the ground glass in. I made two ground glass frames just in case. All is left is to sand, finish and assemble the parts and hopefully I'll be shooting before the weather closes in.

I also redid the rear supports. Instead of one knob for shift and swing. I did it with 3. More complicated, but it should tighten down nicely.

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails parts.jpg   bellows.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Very nice work Eric. I am glad the bellows book is working out for you. Dans journal is a big help for everyone who gets it.

Good luck and again, nice work!
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    35mm RF

First light and no focus.

I finally finished up the 4x10 back for the Zone VI camera. I took it out to the harbor to try to take a couple shots. Unfortunately I ran into a couple problems right off the bat. The rear standard supports need to have the groove cut longer so it will fold up and there is a knob in the way so I couldn't shorten up the bellows enough to focus the 210mm G-Claron. I guess I got caught up in the bigger bellows race that I didn't take into account that I usually shoot a 210 or the 159 Wolly I've been dying to try.

Anyway here are a couple pictures of the camera. I've actually built/modified each part at least twice due to screw ups and miscalculations. Like a soft focus lens, the low pixel count helps soften the blemishes.

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frontcomp.jpg   rearcomp.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin