Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,531   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

How to create a shutter

My camera project seems to consist of problems to be solved. The Lens I have got is without a shutter. The Lens is mounted in a Sinar board. It has Aperture setting, but no shutter. Now I am thinking about how to make a shutter for my camera.

Has anybody created a shutter ? Maybe an electronic one.

Any input will be appreciated.

Best regards
    Mikkel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If your lens is already in a Sinar board, look into acquiring a Sinar auto-aperture shutter. If that's not a viable option, a Packard shutter is just the trick. They show up used on ebay quite frequently, and are reasonably inexpensive. They're a case of "why reinvent the wheel". You'd end up making one yourself from scratch, after many hours of fumbling around and much wasted material, so why not just get one to start with?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Why create a shutter

There are several reasons for why I want to create a shutter.
    First: The camera is for a university project and I have to make as much my self as I can.
    Second: I have access to a Sinar shutter/aperture controller, but it will not fit in my camera without me having to alter my design radically.
    Third: It cant be that hard to make a shutter even an electronic one.

So any help will higly appreciated.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well if you know electronics, you can make a shutter.

A lens cap can be a shutter if your exposures are long. Even a dark hat can work. How about a flap of opaque cloth or leather over the front of the lens.

A Packard shutter can be made from scratch. I'm sure there are plans on the internet if you search.

But I say, f/90 at 30 seconds, so your shutter is your hat!
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    A very simple mechanical (gravity operated) shutter design is a flat sheet in rails with a hole in it. A peg is put through it. When the peg is pulled, the sheet falls and the hole slides past the lens opening. The size (or length) of the hole determines the speed to some degree. A "bulb" setting is made by having a second peg situated so the sheet stops in the open position, that is then pulled to end the exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Old box cameras had a very simple but useable shutter. You can pick one up cheap, study the design and make one similar but sized for your project. On the other hand, you may be able to find a 4x5 or "3A" (3 1/4 x 5 1/2) box camera with dimensions you can use directly -- and have fun with later

While you're at it, look for one with both "Instant" and "Bulb" (or "Time") settings - that will allow you to build yours with whatever speed you use most often, and allow timed shots. Should be pretty simple to set yours up to have a lever for the instantaneous shot and a cable release socket for the timed shots.

Nathan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

sliding paper as shutter

I like this idea. A sliding piece of paper as a shutter. Not exactly electronic, but very cool. Using gravity, it should not be to difficult to calculate the size of the opening in the paper. Would it be best o place the shutter at the lens end or at the film end.

Any input on foormulas for calculating the opening in the papers would be highly appreciated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want to go for the guillotine type shutter, look and see if you can find the graflex shutter opening sizes for either a 4x5 or 5x7 sized shutter. I know the slit sizes on my 3x4 are 3/8", 3/4", 1 1/2" and I think maybe 1/8". Someone out there online must have the chart for the various spring tension plus curtain aperture speed combinations. I'd work from the settings of the #1 spring tension setting as a starting point. If memory serves, the #1 tension plus the 1 1/2" opening on my camera yield a 1/10th of a second speed. I don't remember the rest of the sequence, but it finishes up around 1/60th.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could scale a rotary shutter up to the size you need, and go cine-style and have a variable shutter opening. If you want to take one apart and see how they work, pick up a Holga. (I've thought of doing this for barrel lenses, too, as you can get multiple speeds out of a very simple mechanism with only one spring.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkenberg View Post
    There are several reasons for why I want to create a shutter.

<snip>

Third: It cant be that hard to make a shutter even an electronic one.

So any help will higly appreciated.
    Eh? If it can't be that hard, why have so few firms entered the business since 1930?

BTW, cine camera sector shutters just go round and round, they don't start and stop.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin