Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,369   Online: 1038

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. I have many people to thank for help and inspiration on this camera. Dan Dozer gave me a lot of help and encouragement. I tried to send off a lengthly e-mail last night about the trip and the use of the camera and my computer froze up on me. So Dan I hope to get to that tonight. I wanted to get this finished for Per's Owens Valley workshop that I just returned from so I had Jim at Western Bellows do the bellows for me. They are very nice and light and extend to 32". I have four film holders that I got off of e-bay and I'm headed to the darkroom to develop my first sheets. I shot six sheets in total and I can't wait to see what I've got. The shot of me in front of the Bristlecone pine at 11,000 feet was at sunset and when I looked at the ground glass I about fell over! We drove to this spot and I had to carry the camera about 50 yards. This format is fantastic! I have a rolling duffel that the camera fits in and I find that the 14" Rodenstock Gerogon is my go to lens for this format. It covers at F-9. I think the camera weights about 15 pounds and the tripod about 12 pounds. I don't have a scale to weight everything so I'll take it to work in a few days and put it on the scale there. I'll let everyone know. At Per's Owens Valley workshop everyone commented hoe light the camera and tripod are. I got some great ideas for the Walnut 11x14 that is under construction. I wont get to more work on it until the summer. Now it's time to shoot more 8x20. I do have to name the beast Tim, and I'm going to have a brass plate with her name on it made as soon as the name comes to me. I just call her the beast for now. So, you can build a camera with a dovetail saw, dremel, files , drill and a lot of love. I hope this will inspire others to give it a go.

Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Jim, your "mug" and camera are equally good looking! Congrats on getting it done. Enjoy it!

Alex W.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ok, everyone I got a chance to weight this thing today. The camera weights 14lbs and the tripod with the Majestic head is 10lbs. My film holders are 3lbs. a piece and I have four of them . So in total my 8x20 "system" is under 40lbs. Not too bad I think. I wouldn't have a problem putting this in a backpack and going a shot distance with it.Now to find a lightweight backpack....Hum?

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Nice

Hi Jim,

Beautiful camera Jim. I enjoyed meeting with you the other day over at Per's house for the workshop. What a day that was.

Good luck making images with your new gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brilliant job.

So let's see those bristlecones, huh !!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have about 100 negs to develop first. 120,4x5 and 8x10. The Bristlecone image may get printed this weekend. Then I have to figure out how to scan the thing so I can show it. I'll post it as soon as I can.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Your best way might be with a digital camera and the negative on a lightbox, or a picture of the print. We have an 11x17 scanner at work, not going to find too many larger than that until you make a very large price jump. Even some of the bigger drum scanners might have problems with that size film.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin