Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,440   Online: 820

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

From this mess comes the 11x14!

Well, the 8x20 is done and works fine. Yes it has some quirks but that is the beauty of hand built cameras. You know exactly what to expect! So with the left over walnut that I had I started the 11x14. I have pieces sanded and finished and pieces marked for cutting. This time I'm cheating a little because I bought an 11x14 Deardorff back to use or use as a template for the new back out of walnut. I will keep everyone up to date of my progress but remember the 8x20 took a year and a half! This time I don't have to build the tripod so hopefully it will go quicker. I must say that the 11x14 back is huge!

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sorry, I forgot to post the picture!

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 11-02-2008 at 12:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! You are unbelievable!

How did your 8x20 negs from Per's workshop turn out?

Paul

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Paul, I've got some that came out great. One or two in particular are very, very nice. My Bristlecone pine root is hard to print and I'm still working on it. I had one holder that had a light leak and ruined two great images. I may be able to use about an 7x12 portion to print. Great to have a huge neg. I was very surprised that the camera worked! After all I had never built a camera before, let alone an 8x20. I guess the thing I was most concerned about was getting the ground glass and film registration down right. I measured and measured and measured until I believed I had it right and then put the back together. I couldn't pass up the Deardorff back and it should speed things along on the 11x14.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bump:

How is the work on the 11x14 going Jim, I stopped working on mine for now, need to catch up on the others in maintenance and refinishing. I was working on a Kodak 2D 8x10 and wanted to ask you how you used the rear hardware on your 8x20. I can see that it would separate for a wider frame if a new shaft is added and the bearings moved over to the new shaft. Or the shaft can be cut and extensions added to each side. Does this change lose any of the rear movements?

I think building an entirely new 11x14 camera would be better than converting a 2D. They are kinda chunky and heavy yet they used small brass screws on the hardware. I find that most of the screws are lose, it's the number of screws that keeps the camera together.

If I had a back I would go ahead with the project too, good luck on yours, it's going to be nice when you get it done.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt, I stopped for the time being on the 11x14. I have many negs to print from the Per Volquartz work shop in the eastern Sierra in October. I'm glad that I got the back because it will speed things up greatly. I like to shoot at this time of year and will more than likely get serious in the summer. I'm going to try some different ideas that I have for this camera. It will be modeled around my Zone VI 4x5. I'm going to use as much Walnut as I can instead of brass in some areas. May make it lighter but wont compromise strength. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin