Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,546   Online: 1078

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Jim Galli, you out there?

Well, I was in a quandry as to where to post this. Large format, medium format, camera building, etc.
    I decided to do it here, and let the masses come to me.
    I recently bought one of those wee petzvals that Jim Galli had for sale. Hmmm, what to do with it? I had a vague idea that eventually turned to an avalanche of invention (for me at least).
    I love the large format, as evidenced by my ownership of an 8x10 and a 4x5, but alas, due to health issues, logistics, and not a small amount of laziness, lugging a view camera is just not for me.
    Medium format, a scanner, Photoshop (sorry), Mark Nelson's PDN system, and the gum/gumover platinum process, that's where it's at.
    But how do I get that old world look that I love so much?
    I bought a Pentax 67 bodycap, a piece of plumbing something or other from Home Depot, the fuzzy side of some velcro strips, some tape, and after a little dremel tool action, voila!
    I focus by simply pulling/pushing the lens in and out. It focuses from infinity to about 2 feet or so.
    See the attached pics with a preliminary of one of the first images. I'll probably not get any of those elusive swirlys, since the image circle is probably too big for the 6x7 format, but I like the result so far.
    Thanks Jim,
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8339.JPG   IMG_8341.JPG   IMG_8342.JPG   IMG_8343.JPG   Petzval1002 copy small.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    gorgeous photo, steve.

you could see if Jim has anything in an even shorter petzval
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Medium format lensbaby. There you go.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Petzval on medium format! Cool

I heard Jim was beamed up for negoitiating the 08`batch of Area 51 lenses...
    Amund

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! Does Home Depot know what you're doing with their plumbing supplies? Love that make-it-work urge!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow! Too cool for school. What was the thingy that you put the felt strips into? Gorgeous result and it can't get any better than focus ttl. Bravo! I better hound the little green guys to find me some more of those! The photo is perfect in 6X7.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Jim,
    I'm not sure what the thingy is. I found it in the plumbing section. It is plastic and about 2 inches in diameter and has a flange on it. I had to put the dremel tool to the flange to make it fit into my bodycap, and glue the two pieces together.
    The lens fits perfectly into the velcro lined tube. No damage or modification to the lens is required at all. I put some masking tape around the lens "hood", in order to give me a visual limit for pushing it into the body of the camera (ie, if I push it in too far, the mirror hits it). This is not a problem, as it focuses at infinity before the tapestop is an issue.
    The lens fits just snug, but slides perfectly in and out of the tube. It just couldn't be any better.
    I've experimented with other things in the past (homemade lenses on a Kiev camera, lensbabies, etc). But nothing satisfied me. I am now satisfied beyond my wildest expectations.
    Thanks for a smooth transaction, and I hope I've given a new life to an old classic.
    Steve
    ps: Anyone want to buy a like-new Kiev 88 body, with a back? I ran one (count-em, one) roll through it. It worked fine, but it isn't for me. Or a lensbaby? Anyone, anyone ??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those pipe fittings from Home Despot are a great source for tubing to make extensions for lenses and also lens cap/shutters
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An update. Here are a few more images from the wee petzval.
    Jim, you need to give me a kickback for all this promotion I'm doing.
    I LOVE this lens!

Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brenham Planter (adj) sm for web.jpg   Brenham Milk Jug #1 (adj) sm for web.jpg   Mom #2 (adj) sm for web.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Those images are beautiful! I'm in awe of people who can put together what you have and make it work so well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin