Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,867   Online: 948

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Exposure Window Cover Repair

I have a Wirgin 6cm x 6cm folding camera with a Wollensak Anistigmat f/3.5 lens that I purchased from eBay five years ago. It has worked like a charm since I purchased it. The first images I took were of the President's Day storm that year, the one that blanketed Delaware in up to two feet of snow in thirty-six hours.

Well, the little red disc window insert that was made in Germany in 1946 bit the dust in September and I have not used it since. Until today. On my lunch hour at Manlove Auto Parts where I work, I finally remembered to try something I had thought of before Christmas.

I purchased the standard roll of red reflective tape, the tape that covers cracks or small holes on a red automotive/trailer lens. I cut a strip about seven to eight centimeters long and narrow enough to fit between the rivets that affix the film holding plate to the back lid. First I tried this with a second piece of tape adhered against the first piece to prevent the glue being exposed to the outside of the camera through the exposure count window. When I discovered that this made the exposure number too difficult to read, I tried a second piece with some clear plastic used in substitution for the second piece of tape et voila. I have blocked the light and repaired my camera. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    The red plastic tabs that fit on Pendaflex hanging file folders also work.
    Jeff Polaski
    "A full-time job seriously interferes with photography."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Red lithographer's tape makes a quick repair. It has many other uses in a darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rubylith was my thought

Much like the graphic arts tape, only this stuff is a sheet, with a peel off red layer that seems to cling by electrostatic attracton. I have a roll 40" wide by many yards long that I use whaen I play with lithographic film ( not lith printing -a little bit of a different animal).

PM me if you need a bit to create wierd sized not too large safelight, etc. I will cut you a piece and send it for the cost of postage into my paypal account.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin