Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,629   Online: 766

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Can I use a cylinder mirror as a panorama lens

I impressed from telescopes.

They have big mirrors and a small mirror at the focus , they are two axis symetrical , i mean verticaly and horizontaly symetric and curved.

What happens if I use a cylinderical mirror which made from curved stainless steel plate as the big mirror .

A there can be film at the focus of the big mirror ?

B or there can be a small cut cylinder stainless pipe as a secondary mirror which focuses the light through a hall at the big mirror on to the film at behind of big mirror.

What kind of image we get from horizontaly curved lens or mirror ?

Can it be computer corrected ?

I asked few experts offline but they said they did not know the answer.

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There are mirror lenses and catadioptric (part mirror, part refractive) lenses in existence. See for example:
    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...ls/mirror.html

I'm not sure about your cylindrical mirror idea; I guess you wouldn't have completely focussed light.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    For example , you have two female cylinderical lens.

you put them one in front of other.

you started to record to a video or record to a film at bulb mode.

you started to rotate one of the lenses and you cover what a spherical lens would cover !

Am i right ? Does it work ?

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a Seitz Roundshot working in reverse. Why not be simpler and just copy that design a bit, then have a moving lens, or moving body design?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Herr , I think I m not understanding. I looked to roundshot and it uses a digital back and lens.
    I am rotating the front lens on its axis , i m not trying to take 360 degree photograph but i m trying to not to use spherical lens but two dimensional two lenses.
    Is there something i m missing ?

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The older Roundshot used 120 or 220 roll film, and had a slit arrangement for exposing the film. Lenses off some 35mm cameras could be used, like a few of the 28mm Nikon manual focus lenses. You could hold the camera in your hand by the grip below it, and when you pressed the shutter release, the camera rotated about axis to exposure a length of film across the slit. Shots were possible in several angular rotations, even 360º (full rotation).

http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/intern.../d854/f443.cfm

This link is to the 28-220, which is still available. There is a nice animation image on this page, which shows the camera turning. So what I think on your reflective cylinder idea is that the cylinder substitutes for rotation, though you still need to move the film, or somehow expose it (hard to imagine a shutter for that). Anyway, I use to know a photographer who only shot hotels and resorts, and had one of the older Roundshot cameras, which is why I mentioned it.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Is it something like this you want to do: http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=101

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin