Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,624   Online: 727

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    an old folder,i have an agfa billy that will fit in my back jeans pocket.you arent looking for something expensive and for me my folder fits the bill.and when closed they are tanks.just something for you to think about.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    An Angulon isn't a retrofocus lens, but even if it were, there's no reason it couldn't be used in a unit-focus fashion. Large format type lenses don't have floating elements in general (a few exceptions being certain soft-focus lenses).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 58mm/60mm lens for the Koni-Omega would be great, and if it didn't have the accessory viewfinder with it, might be reasonable in cost. The quality might be too high for your criteria though.

How about a lens and shutter from an old Kodak 1A or one of the many other Kodak folders for film sizes larger than 2 1/4 square?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt, the old folders usually have lenses that are much longer than the OP wants. Believe me, I've been looking for a Kodak with a 100-110 f/6.3 CZJ Tessar for a while now. They were made but are now very scarce, and they're all normal or longer for the camera's format. My shortest nice lens from an FPK so far is a 130/6.3 CZJ Tessar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Matt, the old folders usually have lenses that are much longer than the OP wants. Believe me, I've been looking for a Kodak with a 100-110 f/6.3 CZJ Tessar for a while now. They were made but are now very scarce, and they're all normal or longer for the camera's format. My shortest nice lens from an FPK so far is a 130/6.3 CZJ Tessar.
    Dan, of course, is absolutely right.

(Note to self - engage brain and think it out before typing).

The Koni-Omega suggestion might still help.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've thought about this a bit....here is the web site you need to look at:

http://bigcamera.com/

If you go wide enough, you can zone focus. Then, all you need is something to scavenge a back from and make a lens mount to connect the shuttered lens to the back. Add an appropriate Voightlander view finder (masked appropriately) and that is about it....yeah, easier said than done otherwise I'd have already done it (:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    I thought about the RB's native lenses, but I don't want the RB in between 'cos I want this to be a sling-it-o'er-your-shoulder-and-carry-it-about camera, and don't particularly need reflex viewing.
    How does this grab you?

65mm f/4 Nikkor on slightly modified 4x5 enlarging back, with ~3 cm of shift along the long axis. Zone focusing is easy peasy via markings on the rails, no GG required. In the photo, the back is the PA45 Fuji instant packfilm holder. You can put a much wider lens than a 65 on it, of course.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    I've thought about this a bit....here is the web site you need to look at:

http://bigcamera.com/
    That is the same camera rig that I posted, based on a Graflex XL. If you found one of the XLSW models with the S.A. 47mm in working order you'd be in business pretty fast, just add the roll film back. Most of these bodies can be had pretty inexpensively I think, but I haven't checked prices in a while.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

A huge Caveat on the Graflex XL cameras......

I have had three of these and a half dozen parts bodies. The reason there are so many parts bodies is because of the fragile nature of the focusing tabs in the focus ring. MAKE ABSOLUTELY sure that if you buy one of these, that all three of the focusing tabs are present and NOT cracked.

Your need to "sling the camera over the shoulder and go" which is a respectable need. In fact, it was the need of most of the Press, Journalist, and War correspondents who used them. Consequently, they got thrown around a lot and the tab weakness came home to roost.

I have often thought that if someone would reman or come up with a strong repair for these tabs, hundreds of Graflex XL's would come out of closets all around the country. The camera and it's lens system were phenomenal.

In fact if anyone knows of a ready solutions, I'd love to revive 2 or 3 XL's.

They meet every criteria the OP listed in terms of simple, and yet expandable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sure SK Grimes can help you revive your cameras but if it is worth the cost, I can't say. The focus ring is the weakness of the system, that is for sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin