Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,965   Online: 761

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walnut 11x14

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Barry, I appreciate the compliment. Your brass knobs stand proud on the front standard of the 8x20. I thought I would give my idea on the knobs a go and although they are not perfect they are hand carved and hand crafted. I will see how they hold up in use when I get the camera done. No progress to report as I just got in from a business trip.
    Greg, My digital will have to stay P/S for now. I think everyone can get the idea of what I'm trying to do and if anyone needs specifics just ask. I'm working on the back box now and making the arms that hold it off the bed out of walnut instead of brass and they seem to be solid and strong. I'll get some more pictures posted soon. My youngest son is home on spring break and we are going to spend time together this weekend so no building for a while.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

My WIP 11 X 14

Hi guys here are some photos of my work in progress just need to finish the back.

Last edited by Gustavo_Castilla; 04-01-2008 at 12:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: design
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Gustavo, Awesome!! Nice to see it coming together. You are going to be done well ahead of me. I can't remember when I was over if you had the back and ground glass from another camera or if you have to build it. If you have to build it it can take some time. Call me if i can help.

Here is my front standard completed. I just have to put some finish on the knobs. It has base tilt, axis tilt, swing and shift. Am I going to use all that stuff??? Hell, I don't know but it is nice to have! Next I' going to rout the base and the rails for the gear racks and then finish the back. Need to make the metal brackets to hold the back on and do some finishing. I have the bellows already, holders and film. The lens is an Ilex 21 1/4 F-10 Process lens that I know will cover.

Does anyone know where to get the brass piece that goes in the bottom of the bed for the tripod to screw into? Some guy has one on e-bay in stainless but I would like to use brass. Richard Ritter? Maybe I should send him an e-mail.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 11-02-2008 at 12:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    O.K. - Now I'm getting jealous - both of you guys have 11 x 14's. I'll have to get over that. Great work to both of you by the way.

Jim - here is what I did on my 8 x 20. My first attempt was to use a threaded insert (got at Lowes) that I pounded into the bottom of the camera base bed. I assumed that it would hold sufficiently. It worked for a while, but with the 8 x 20 back rail attached, there was too much stress on the threaded insert and it pulled out (twice). My next attempt seems to work much better. I used a T nut but installed it from the top of the camera base instead of the bottom. My thinking was that it would be much stronger because attaching the camera to the tripod would squeeze the tripod to T nut through the base. There shouldn't be any chance of pull out failure that I had with the simple pound in threaded insert.

1 - drill a hole for the T nut all the way through the base the right size for the small end of the T nut.

2 - drill a larger hole big enough for the flange of the T nut partially through the base from the top. I drilled it deep enough so that when the T nut was inserted, the bottom of the small end would be just about all the way through the base (it's about 1/16" short of it).

3 - countersink the small hole a little from the bottom of the base so the hole will be easier to "find" when trying to get the tripod screw into it.

4 - I drilled three small holes in the T nut flange and screwed it into the base for added support.

Note that the T nut I used has "wings" on the sides that call it a "pound in device" to secure it. They don't really hold very well which is why I used the screws.

See in the pictures the top of the base which shows the recessed hole for the T nut and the bottom of the base which shows the opening for the tripod screw as well as my previous to attempts with the threaded inserts. I left the holes there to remind me what I went through incase some one asked me questions like this.

You might have to get over the T nut not being brass - I'm not sure if you can find it brass or not. If you want to go this route with a steel connector, let me know. I have a lot of T nuts left and I'll send you a couple.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM000870.1.jpg   IM000872.1.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dan, great idea on the T-nut. Gotta go with brass though. The camera is looking real good and I want to use brass. I may contact Richard Ritter and see if he has the brass insert like the one that is in my Zone VI. If not then I'll try plan B. I'll post some more pictures when I can.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ok, I thought I would update those who may be following this thread. I was up at 7am. today and got right to work. There is a lot of finish work for me to do. I had to slot the back rails for the swing knobs fit, test fit the brass for the rear box and the back assembly to the rear standard. This takes time as I wanted to get it level and square. I had to make sure that the camera would fold properly.I had to test fit the rails to the racks and make some fine adjustments. I cut the hole for the tripod mount. I secured the racks to the rails and did a lot of finish polishing. Now that I have the back box and standard done I can finish sand and polish the back. I have all of the metal for the ground glass back and I need to finish that and complete my Walnut knobs. I should get a lot done tomorrow. Took a couple of pictures if anyone is interested. I hope the digital shots are all right, damn tired after 14 hours of camera building but man it is looking good!

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 11-02-2008 at 12:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Well, here is a shot of the restored back. This is the Deardorff 11x14 back that I found and striped it down and refinished the wood and the hardware. I have to get some longer screws so I can attach the center rail support, put a final coat of wax on the back box and do the strap and assemble the final camera. The bellows has been waiting all of this time. Maybe 1-2 more days.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim, it's looking good can't wait to see the finished product.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I may be able to post the finished product tonight.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I may be able to post the finished product tonight.

Jim
    Yeah but will you be able to print from a neg shot in the camera tonight?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin