Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,555   Online: 799

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walnut 11x14

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Walnut 11x14

Well, I thought I better update everyone on my camera building. The Walnut 8x20 is a joy to use and look at. I had some wood left over and decided I liked the 11x14 format for contact printing. I'm using my Zone VI 4x5 as my design and I'm building the 11x14 like it. I've been very lucky so far in that I got a Deardorff 11x14 back off of E-bay and also my bellows for great prices. The bellows with the frames matches my dimensions exactly which makes things even easier. I have built the back standard supports, box, rails, bed and I'm working on the front standard right now. I learned on this one that reverse engineering is the way to go, after all thinking backwards fits my nature! This is a picture of the front standard. I have slots to cut and pieces to make. As you can see I'm making a lot of the parts from Walnut instead of brass. It will cut down on the weight and should be durable enough for years to come. I'll post more as I go along.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 11-02-2008 at 01:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great project, Jim! Thanks for sharing with us!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jim,

Please keep us posted as the project progresses...
    John Bowen

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Been working on the front standard today. I've got 22 sheets of 8x10 from Yosemite to print also!! Maybe if I take a break. I'll post some more pictures later. The Deardorff back is mahogany and I'm adjusting the penetrating oil color so all will match. As before hand rubbed to 1500 grit with diamond pads.

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Looking good, Jim!

Vaughn

PS...I haven't even started developing my Yosemite Negs yet -- perhaps this weekend!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Looking good, Jim!

Vaughn

PS...I haven't even started developing my Yosemite Negs yet -- perhaps this weekend!
    Vaughn, I developed the 8x10's and the 8x20's and they are all good! Only 2 of the 8x10's are questionable. My carbon composition is a winner as are several others. The Efke-25 gives me some good contrast. May have some exciting news in a while.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Well, the afternoon has been going well. I finished the front standard. I need to do the lens board brass to hold my lenses in and the brass for the bellows to attach to and do the finish oil and polishing. I attached some other photos of the base, rails and the Deardorff back ( I turned it backwards so you can see it better). Sorry about the focus on one of the close ups. I need to do the routing for the gears and the racks next. My Dremel comes in handy for this and then I'll be on to the back standard. Hope to have this up and running in a couple of months or so.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 11-02-2008 at 01:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks great!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim,

Great progress - it looks almost done. Now the dilema - 8 x 10! 11 x 14! or 8 x 20! 8 x 10! 11 x 14! or 8 x 20. Too many choices - too little time. Now promise me again that this is the last one you are going to build.

Yeah - I've heard that before. I see 12 x 20 in the distant future.

We've got to get together again when you get finished. Sounds like another trip to Joshua Tree is in order. Or perhaps the Salton Sea this time or the slot canyon at Mecca.

Dan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dan, can you hear me say NO MORE! After I get the 11x14's done that's it! I'll need to concentrate on using all of this great equipment. Can you imagine when we hook up I'll bring all three! 11x14 and 8x20 in the back seat and the 8x10 up front! I have the 8x10 and 8x20's in backpacks and now I'm going to have to find something to put the 11x14 in. Got a great REI Mars 85 pack that fits the 8x20.
    I am finishing the metal on the front standard today and then I'm moving to the base. I need to rout the slots for the gears and the racks in the rails. I have the metal parts that I got from McMaster Carr. Then it is on to the back box and back standard. I need to cut the holes in the box for the support arms cut out the slots for the swing then dry mount everything. Once that is done then I can get into final finishing. The back ground glass frame is done. It is from a Deardorff 11x14 and I'm using some Mahogany accents with the Walnut to make everything go together. I'm using as little brass as possible. It will keep the weight down but more importantly I wanted something unique. It should come in at about 12 lbs.I've already got three film holders and some FP-4 on the way from Don Hutton from the Large Format Forum. I think I'll pick up a 10 sheet box of Freestyle APHS film for testing.
    This camera was much easier to build. The experience of the 8x20 was very helpful and things just fell into place quickly with this one. I'm really happy with how this camera is turning out. It is a little more precise and tight. Not to bad for using hand tools. Still has a hand crafted look to it which is what I like. I would think I should have it done in no more than 2 months. From this point on I'll be concerned with maintaining all of these beasts. Could use to redo the bellows on the 8x10, make lens boards, etc. I will finally be able to clean the sawdust off of the apartment floor and put some tables away. Once this is done then it is on to Carbon transfer printing.
    I would love to hit all three places. Maybe one of those weekend shoots. Slot canyon with LF/ULF's would be fun. I need to workout again.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 03-19-2008 at 10:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spell check!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin