Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,332   Posts: 1,682,023   Online: 842

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Beginning tool sets

I am just getting started, and looking for recomendation of tools. I have started with Romney's book and picked up a few things here and there.

Well, I have needed the flexiclamp, so I know they are necessary tools for the job they do, however, what are the basic gotta-have sizes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could give recommendations if I knew what you wished to do.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That's fair

Basically, I want to find common cameras that are workable but old and bring them back into service. There is a much bigger story to this, but for now, all I am looking for is what I will need most comonly, and then I will get other stuff onsie-twosie as needed. I am not looking to become the next greatest camera repairman, but for the most part, acl's shutter servicing, tha tsort of thing, on 120, and 620 stuff mostly as well as the odd manual 35 mm and some commonly available lf stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First and foremost: Buy the best quality possible as that is the cheapest in the long run. Good tools last forever almost. I like working on small items over a tray with sides. Sometimes things are hard to find on the floor.

Set of jewellers screwdrivers
    Small pliers including fine needle nose.
    Couple of heavy, wide rubber bands for unscrewing lenses etc.
    Toothpicks and Q-tips
    Small containers to hold parts in the same order you remove them.

The list could go on and on; you know what you need
    Try to find a company that sells watchmaking tools.
    Google Lee Valley Tools for watchmakers cases for container idea.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Flexiclamps are not really need unless you plan on dealing with M series leicas.
    Some cameras like the minolta SRT's you can use a piece of rubber tubing with the end cut flat to remove the collar surrounding the shutter release. You can get the flexiclamp but it's only a buck for a foot of tubing.
    Go to Microtools.com & get the #2 crosspoint screwdriver tips(& spares), handle, & some straight blades. I use straight tips from .8mm up to 3mm. the smaller one are for set screws found in lenses and some shutter speed dials or rewind knobs.
    A Spanner handle with pointed and flat tips, a multitester(analog) digital will give more accurate readings but the analog will allow you to test capacitors for leakage.
    Don't bother trying to use cheapy jewelers screwdriver sets, the tips are not the correct angle and are usually too brittle. The tips you need are called "crosspoint" and the angle of the tip is slightly sharper.
    The large rubber bands suggested earlier work very well & I also use a set of rubber stoppers(hdw store) for removing decorator rings on lenses. You can also use them for removing the Minolta shutter speed collar. Press down & twist with 'em.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look at http://www.micro-tools.com/. You probably won't need all that, but you can get general impression what is mostly wanted and used for camera repairing. I mean, if people don't need and buy particular tool, they wouldn't sell it, right?
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A good supplier for micro screws because there are hundreds of differents types, heads, threads, you name it. You can always get a supply by breaking down junk components for parts, but familiarize yourself with the various fasteners as this will save time down the road.
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get yourself a good magnifying lamp.One with a circular florescent bulb that doesn't cast shadows.I'll post a picture of mine in a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Magnifying Lamp

here's the one I use.Picked it up at my local office supply shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magnifyer.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks! These are the things good to hear. So tel me this, how do I remove the lens cells from a Kodak Reflex II without a flexiclamp?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin