Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,288   Online: 810

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great job Jim!

What did you use for you finnish? Did you make your own control knobs? Did you do your own brass work? If so what did you use to cut an shape it? What did you use for the spring material on you ground glass holder? questions question... :-)

Good work on the comed joints!

I look foward to seeing some pictures taken with it. Could you post a few?

Victor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Congrats Jim! wow!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a beautiful looking camera.

Well done Jim.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Congrats!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It certainly is beautiful, and it looks really well made. I’m impressed.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Totally impressive. Congrats! Wish I could do as well with my woodworking... heck, I wish I could do 1/10th as well!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks, everyone. I'm impressed with how nice this one came out. It is not perfect but my cameras are built more by hand and less by machine so my tolerances are not as tight. It is solid, stable, light tight and looks really cool on my Walnut tripod. I'm going to make some final adjustments today and put on the finishing touches and then I have to find a way to transport this camera. I'll weight it when I can also. Seems to be in the 12-14lb range.
    To answer some of the questions. I made my own knobs. Basically they are cut from 1 1/4" Walnut stock with a hole saw to the appropriate size on my drill press. I then take my Dremel and put the groves in them and then take a bit and drill a hole in the center and epoxy in a Knurled Knob. The brass stock is cut from a door kick plate that I got from Lowes. It seems to be the right thickness and I just copied the parts from my Zone VI 4x5. The great thing I managed to find for this camera is the back and the bellows. I managed to find a Deardorff back without the ground glass on E-bay for around $100.00. I had to cut it to fit the back of my camera box and make two new ground glass hold downs. I took it apart and refinished it. It is made of Mahogany so I used a Mahogany stain than I rubbed into the new Walnut first and then followed with Watco danish Oil. The oil sits for a day to soak in and then I wet sand with oil and diamond hand sand pads to 800 grit starting at 220. This process polishes the wood to a very nice patina. Three coats of paste wax and she is ready to go. This takes some time and is real fun on all of the small parts but the finished product is something to see. I forgot to add that I dry sand everything first mainly by hand to 220. I keep the door closed to my darkroom and it is going to take a while to dust my apartment. The bellows was a great find. Again, off of E-bay for a steal. Cost about $ 125.00. The back and bellows saved me about a month or two in construction time as I do not work fast.I can't wait to try her out and I will post some prints when I can. Any more questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is very beautiful Jim.
    Any picks of it racked out?
    I'm considering changing the bed of my Korona 11X14.
    I just don't like how it's constructed.
    I was thinking I could keep the back, the bellow, and modify the front a little then make a bed around that.
    You've kind of encouraged me......
    Scott

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Scott I'll try to get some pictures of it extended out tomorrow. Just got home from a very long day at work, 14 hours on the road. I did manage to weight it today and she comes in at 16 lbs. I was hoping for around 12-14 lbs. but what are you going to do. I replaced as much of the brass as possible but I think that this did not reduce the weight that much. It was much easier for me to work the wood with my hand tools. Thick brass would have been a real challenge. If you want I can tell you how the bed is constructed and the rail system.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jim, I'm very interested in how you constructed the bed and rail.
    I guess you could have saved weight with a lighter wood but walnut has a majestic quality to it.
    It's always been one of my favorites.
    Scott

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin