Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,639   Online: 812

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Kits?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I'd seriously love to build one, but I'd need someone with the woodworking skills to help me. It really is such a neat project. Can't wait to see prints.
    I had a Bender 4X5 kit, which was actually quite usable. The woodworking part is pretty much done when you get the kit, insofar as cutting pieces to size. You must do the sanding, gluing, attaching screws, etc. The nice thing about the Bender kit (and they have 8X10) is that building one of them may prime you for a scratch built camera. That's if you find out the woodworking is easier than you think it might be.

There have been some threads on APUG for Bender, so maybe a search.

Also, there is another precut kit that is more of a flatbed 4X5, but I can't think of the name right now.

Here is a link to Bender.

http://www.bender.com

Oh yes, found the other camera... a Bulldog 4X5. Not very pretty, but precut and you assemble. Here is an article on the Bulldog.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Bu...ssembly-camera

And before I close, That Walnut camera from the OP is great... Very nice looking and looks like one of the dreadnaughts of LF cameras. I can hardly imagine contact printing something that I can just frame and hang right from the neg.
    Last edited by larsco2002; 04-19-2008 at 01:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks, for the nice comment on my 11x14. Going to load up some holders with the FP-4 I have and take her out tomorrow. I have some 11x14 Azo to contact print on. Can't wait!

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, you did a great job making the camera, having made a 4x5 Wista type I know how must work goes into each part. You have to design it first but bringing the design to reality is no easy task. To get the right function with a fine fit and finish might look easy to someone looking at the photos but making each part work together and finishing it as a product of your imagination, from concept to completion, is the ultimate creation.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt, thanks. You are right. I learned something with this camera also. The fit is not exact but it works fine I now know the critical parts that need precision tooling. If I replace my 8x10 with my own camera I know exactly what to do. Thanks.

JIm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A beautiful camera! An inspiring project! Thanks for sharing your handy work. My wife gets worried when I get inspired. Oh, well . . . Bill Barber

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Bill, took it out today and shot two sheets of film. I found out what adjustments I need to make. I now can fine tune her. Going into the darkroom to develop the first negs.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Here are some pic's of the camera in action and raked out to 36". It seems steady at full extension.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 11-02-2008 at 12:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which beach did you go to? It looks like a nice Summer day down there, here we had a record late in the year show fall. Even the squirrels stayed in.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt, this was on Highway 1 just south of Magu rock between Malibu and Pt. Huenueme. I got down there about 7:30 AM and was done by 9:30 Am. The wind got ugly about 2 hours after I was done. I find that the 11x14 takes longer to set up than my 8x20. It is a little harder to get it on the tripod. I am now amazed at how fast I can set up my 8x10!

Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin