Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,629   Online: 985

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Dan! Yes I know what swage means. In the locksmith field we have swaged hinges, similar process I assume, however, for the lens I assume that makes it "not user serviceable"

This diaphragm seems to operate quite smoothly though sluggish. However, none of the individual leaves seem to stick. It is just an all around feeling of thickness, like walking through thick mud. The screw that retains the diaphragm adjustment ring to it seems to be free spinning however it does carry through to operate it well enough, and doesn't fall out even with a fair amount of shaking and tapping. I have not tried to unscrew it, but if I did I am not certain I would really want to do much with it. I may have to wave my hand over the diaphragm and pronounce it "cherry". I already had to rebuild one with many fewer leaves and that kind of sucked. Should these move smoothly on a lens this old? I assume I could just give it a soak in something without getting too aggressive with it if I am feeling lucky.

I have used Canada balsam in the past to secure slide covers to glass slides for use in microscopy. Nasty sticky stuff, but to my recollection it didn't dry clear. However, back to swaged vs retaining rings for a second. If there is a retaining ring, there should be some indication. Either exposed thread, or a seam or spanner notches or holes or even set screws of some sort right? I will have to give these a very close look tonight with some magnification, but I am leaning towards the metal being formed around them.

Both elements seem to be pretty well fixed into the metal of their respective trim rings. It both cases, however, there appears to be exposed (though possibly painted) glass. For example if I turned the front cell over, and looked at it, there are 2 steps as though a smaller concave/convex lens (shaped like a giant contact lens) were laid into a similarly shaped though slightly wider lens. I wouldn't discount the possibility that this is the exposed seam of a glued pair but to the eye there is no indication of that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Absinthe,

If you want to screw around with oddball lenses in barrel, I would suggest investing in a Speed Graphic with a working focal plane shutter. That's the bomb for little goofy lenses, magnifying glasses, whatever. If you can glue it, jam it, or staple it to a lensboard, you can shoot with it. Scummed up lenses can look pretty cool. If you haven't seen the little you tube dealy I did on the Speed, check it out.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks J. (BTW, loved your youtube thing...)

I have been watching for the SG's them, but they seem to go pretty high.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Listerine is pretty good stuff, damn near no sign of fungus left. However, now I seem to have moisture within the front pair. Hopefully it will dissipate cleanly. See what happens

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well a few minutes near a lightbulb and it is all gone. Lens is back together and ready to be played with...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    PICS!

(From the lens, not of it.)
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    gotta rig it to a camera first

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aww poop,

I had forgotten about glass held in place with swaging. I've got one here like that. I've been thinking of removing the swaged portion to get the glass out & replace it with a brass or aluminum ring with a burnished edge to retain the glass.

The "v" notch I was referring to is pretty simple. If you imagine a rectangle with the short edge wider than the diameter of the lens. you cut a v into it kinda like this <O> The O represents the elements. In my very fine art work the v's should be slightly wider than the glass and tall/thick enough to touch both elements. You can just push them together, it's not really clamping anything, just keeping the glass from shifting.

Now ya done it! moisture betwixt the elements You can try drying it out under a lamp, if there's no metal, possibly micro-wave it. Really low power really short times & repeat.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Poop? hmmmm.

Ok I follow on the v-notch kind of what I was thinking, just had to make sure.

I just let it sit under my desk lamp, and in a couple hours it was fine. So if you look into thi slens you can see that it isn't perfectly clean. Some very minor flecks and dots here and there, I am assuming to be deposits from the water and evaporation within the airspace. The spiderwebs are all gone, and it all looks pretty good. Now all I have to do is either attach it to something, either camera or enlarger and do something with it... or perhaps a digigraph and on to ebay!! We'll see how I feel, I think I have a 3" coming soon to play with next. This one has a shutter, but I think it is a 2x3 normal rather than a 4x5 wide not to mention the pile of 35's on the floor (almost can't wait to dig into the Pentax K1000)

Thanks to everyone for the help on this thread. This was a fun forray, maybe the next one will be a bit more difficult...

I think I will keep this lens and mount it to the camera for a shot or two, maybe I can find some polaroid for my polaroid back to play with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    3" is not normal for 2x3. 4" is normal for 2x3. 3" is approximately normal, perhaps 5 mm short, for nominal 6x6.

Did you by any chance buy an oscilloscope camera lens?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin