Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,816   Online: 982

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dan --

I meant normal as opposed to wide angle. It is a "Wollensak 3" (75mm) f 1.9 Oscillo-Raptar 1:09X coated lens in an Alphax Heavy Duty Synchro Matic Shutter", great guess!!!. I haven't played with an Alphax shutter yet, so it sounded fun.

Let's see, my 330's had 80's as normal, and they were 6x6 the RB had a 90 and that was 6x7 so I guess 75 is pretty short for the whole 6xX thing. Regardless, I don't think it will cover 4x5 at all.

Since you mention it, however, I have an oscilloscope camera on the way too, as well as an electrophoresis camera... Still don't have a fingerprint camera, I let a bunch of them go for like $9 or $10 a piece a while back.

Once I get my Kodak Reflex II back together and prove that a roll of 120 will go through it, I may try and snag a few of them... Unfortunately I let a whole pile of them get a way a few months back for next to nothing.

Seems until I get my darkroom built, I am playing camera repairman. However, since I have a Polaroid back to play with, I may have to actually take a picture or two pretty soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sucker! 'scope camera lenses in general and Oscillo-Raptars in particular are useless for shooting out and about and not very good closeup either. Yours was probably made to cover 3x4, if not 3x4 then 4x5, at 1.09:1. The shutters oscilloscope camera lenses are in are often, not always, useless except for front-mounting.

The lenses/shutters on gel-cams, the 127/4.7 Tominon in Copal Press #1 excepted, also have limited usefulness. I'm happy with my 127/4.7 Tominon on 2x3 but I understand its coverage is marginal for 4x5.

Instead of squandering your small monetary units on junk, why don't you accumulate them until you can afford what you claim you really want? You'll be happier unless you've been dissembling and so will your wife.

My neighbor Charlie Barringer (google him) used to give me a hard time because he didn't understand why I'd acquired my seemingly disparate lenses etc.. Eventually I explained to him: good lenses, shutters and adapters for them as required, that I could use on my little 2x3 Graphics. And accessories that I could use on the same cameras. All at relatively low prices, including the 38 Biogon. What's your rationale for acquiring your apparent junk?

BTW, I've bought one loose 'scope lens for the shutter it was in, one 'scope camera to educate myself about the shutter that was in it, and another 'scope camera for its Ilex #3 Electronic Shutter and controls. Came out slightly ahead when I decided that the first shutter and first camera wouldn't do and sold them. What's your exit strategy?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dan --

I may not have mentionned this, but I have a multifold interest here. One of which is to learn repair, and how each thing goes together and interacts. There are some things, like a $500 car that aren't going to appreciate but most likely will not depreciate much either. I don't think I am wasting my money when it is small amounts to aquire stuff that I can take apart, and if I end up with extra parts, or slip with a tool and gash something or just plain get fed up with, I can throw it in the trash and not have my feelings hurt. If in the process I end up with something usable, then that's gravy and a lucky find and it will get used.

One the other path in a similar vein is building some cameras. There are some traditional and also some foldup and primitive designs I would like to do once I get my wood shop going again. (there is a whole garage problem that involves a rockband and some other issues which is a much longer story all together). So having some bits and bobs to design from, or use in the process can be useful.

On the third path is a NFP I am looking to create for the furtherance of non dig as a "Fine Art" with emphasis on it continuing to be taught at the Middle and High school level. This will involve grants or loans of some equipment, curriculum to be provided, and service on the equipment as well.

All this is baby steps to these goals.

Lastly is my own desire to shoot some stuff!!!! To experiment with differnt processes and all that as well.

Granted, I want a good closeup lens for my rig. I also want a reasonable wide angle as well, and perhaps at some point it would be nice to have something that could be used for a portrait. I would probably do with some better lenses on my Omega D5 as well as the D2.

I can piss away a few bucks here and there if in the future it will help me to gain either knowledge, experience or equipment. I assume in the beginning, it will more likely be the former than the latter.

Whatever I end up with that I don't choose to keep and is saleable will go on ebay or trade to someone else that has a need for that and something for me. What's left will get donated to whatever organization I have at my disposal for the tax benefit. Worse comes to worse I can make art, or burn ants

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Goldfield Olds 54

Done with a 161mm Kodak Projection lens. Mine has three little arms sticking out of it so it looks like sputnik. It fit in a Compur Press #1 shutter. I felt it had a real 1940's textbook etched kind of picture quality to it. This printed well at 11X14. The cells are still laying around my house somewhere. I see them every once in a while. See, go make pictures. This was 4X5
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Wollensak Oscillo-Raptar got here tonight. Now, this is a cool looking lens. A couple things I am noticing. There are 2 additional threaded rings I am assuming originally connected it to its oscilloscope. The front one has an o-ring on it. Because the shutter is silver, and the tubes/barrels/whatever they are called (the things the cells are screwed into) are black, it would appear that they should just screw out of the shutter. However, I am wondering if they are glued or somehow otherwise threadlocked? I can also see clear residue around each of the cells, that would suggest they are glued in place as well? Is this normal? I am considering reaching for the acetone...

Other than that, and the shutter seriously needing a cleaning, this is a very clean lens. But the coverage circle is way small (at least on my wall)

More as I figure it out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lens 002.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Got the rear and front element out. Seems there are another pair of elements held in place by that black "barrels" that held the first two cells.

So I definitely need to unscrew these barrels, but I am debating whether it needs acetone to release some kind of glue, or just a penetrating oil to loosen them.

I hope I am not boring anyone with my little stream of consciousness posts here. Makes for a nice sounding board.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ok, so acetone it is!! Appears that they intended this to all stay together as a unit. I am guessing that the barrels are machined to keep the cells at specific distances from each other and from the iris. Then they are screwed into the shutter, and glued there so that I can't easily use this shutter for something else Actually, this is an interesting shutter. I see the way they have come up with the combined cock and fire mechanism.

Hmm, seems I must be missing something. The part that is supposed to trip the shutter, is not catching it. I know I haven't dropped any pieces, but it would seem like something needs to be pressing this down so that it engages it. Well, getting late, maybe I can find a picture somewhere.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
    I hope I am not boring anyone with my little stream of consciousness posts here. Makes for a nice sounding board.

I'm reading with interest! Please go on...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, seems that if I take it all apart, and make sure the parts are all nice and straight and fix about a 2 degree bend, putt it back together again and Bob's Your Uncle I got a nice sounding set of shutter speeds and t and b work as well!!!

So I now have a shutter, that looks like it will take about 45mm front and back threads and a flange or retainer that would need to be about 50mm. According to my multimeter, the synch seems to close though I guess I can go back and clean that contact too at some point.

Not a bad night. Next, I will make sure the cells are clean and get the rest of the glue off the threads. Then see if maybe I can remove those silly other pieces that I guess are specific to the OSCILLOSCOPE connection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When I look at my wall it would seem that I can get a circle about 6" or so if I only hold up 1 element at least to my foggy memory that seems much larger than it was when the whole thing was together. And if nothing else these elements would make phenomenal loupes Well, brain is tired now, sleep now, post later

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin