Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,652   Online: 853

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Success stories with Mark Kapono post-disappearance?

I've read about the problems surrounding Mark Kapono's disappearance last summer, and how some people were left high and dry. I've also read many glowing reviews of his past work, with folks praising his e-mail response time, delivery time, and especially quality of worksmanship. I contacted him for a quote on a new bellows and his price with shipping is only $6 more than Western Bellows' price before shipping! Normally quality comes first, but from past reviews his work seems to be a case of getting more than you pay for. He's been very prompt in his replies, and candid about the "incident". I'm leaning pretty strongly towards giving him the work, has anyone on APUG had some work done by Mark since the disappearance? I'd also be interested in knowing if those outstanding orders had been cleared up, either with product or refund.

- Justin

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Justin, I had Jim at Western Bellows make the bellows for my 8x20. He uses top notch materials and the quality is first rate. I showed him the material that Mark uses and Jim's was lighter and of better quality in my opinion. I was going to go with Mark for my 8x20 and I'm glad I did not. You will need to stay on top of Jim at Western but the quality is first rate. This was confirmed by several friends who are both LU and ULF photographers. I personally think that Mark has a long way to go to re-establish his credibility. Just my .02.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mark Kapono

I recently had Mark Kapono replace my bellows for my 8X10 Toyo G. The orignal bellows from Toyo were made from a material similar to cloth I bought from Walmart to cover my windows went I print my negatives. They were unacceptable and I don't understand why Toyo would produce bellows incredibly poor for a camera made to the highest standards.

I sent my Toyo bellows to Mark in the middle of December 2007. He did not receive them until January 12, 08. I believe him since my check was not processed until after January 12.

He shipped the competed bellows to me April 17. The activity took 3 months. I was in no hurry and did not send inquiring emails requesting a status. The condition of the bellows is satisfying to me.

My biggest concern was with the original bellows from Toyo made to very low standards.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin