Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,186   Online: 710

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Simple 4x5 camera build - pinhole & short lenses

This was originally going to be a simple box pinhole camera to use my 12-shot film magazine, but it grew in complexity so that now it will accommodate extensions from 40mm up to 180mm, will have a bag bellows and limited movements, etc. There's some work yet to be done but it's shaping up now.

Jobs left: attach ground glass (plexiglass) to GG frame. Mask and paint black internal surfaces. Add light trap felt & wood frame at rear for film holder. Glue everything up (plus tiny brass wood screws probably). Add rail & tripod mount. Add eyes & hooks or some other attachment mechanism for protective cover-plate (ie, lid). Fabricate and add bag bellows. Rig linhof technika lens board attachment mechanism.

This is mainly for pinhole use, but it will accomodate up to a 150mm lens, with movements (not sure if I want an elaborate U-shaped standard or just single-axis movement).

All the bits, unassembled:

Ground glass frame partially removed:

"Lid" installed in folded up configuration:

This is made out of poplar, with a couple of pieces from model airplane birch plywood. The stain was some kind of "classic oak" stain which I think was about the right colour for this. Ideally I would have probably wanted a sort of light green-brown to mimic the natural look of the poplar wood, but I couldn't find stain in that colour in stock.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Whoa--very nice work. That's one upscale pinhole camera. How about adding a Packard shutter?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hehe, or an old wooden curtain shutter.

I've got a 150 schneider that's pretty compact, and I'm thinking about looking for a tiny 90mm as well, then I'll have a very tiny & portable kit (the 12-shot film magazine isn't exactly tiny, but it fits in the recess at the back so it won't take much more room than the folded camera by itself). I envision throwing this sucker in the canoe or backpacking it places where I wouldn't really want to lug my whole 4x5 kit.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    35mm
    Great Camera!

What did you do to keep the film holder in place?

Carl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Portrait orientation only?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very nice!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin