Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,601   Online: 919

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

El-cheapo 12-shot bagmag cam almost done.

Almost done! Now it's just a matter of finishing (laquer or whatever you call it), then some gluing & final assembly (to attach the bellows and a couple of other things). I even have the aluminum lensboard locking mechanism finished (it's just not attached). It takes linhof technika boards.

The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well cool! Be sure to show us some finished images as well!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd hoped to have it done today but the varnish (minwax polyurethane) is taking forever to dry and I can't assemble it until it's done. I guess it'll be tomorrow

It's no Jim Fitzgerald Walnut 11x14 but it's turned out pretty nice so far.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    FINISHED!

Here it is with the 90mm lens attached (though it really is mainly for pinhole use, it will use lenses when I want it to).

I think the weak point is the bellows which is pretty exposed most of the time and is not attached very securely.

It was an absolute *BITCH* to try to attach the bellows - totally horrid experience. I ended up attaching it with spray adhesive at the front, which turned into a messy nightmare (even though I'd masked the front's non-attachment points with masking tape), so I went with wood screws (and the pressure from an internal frame) for the back. This attachment isn't very secure, unfortunately, so I might unscrew it and add some glue. As it is there's the risk that corners of the bellows will pull out and then it won't be light tight anymore.

The other problem is that the bellows pulls inwards when I go to full extension, possibly blocking the light path inside the camera. This is because I glued the bellows together around the edges then turned it inside out, so it has a natural tendency to fold inward. Oops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yea! Looks great!

Wonder if you could attach flexible, but strong plastic strips between the front and rear standard that would bow slightly outward on full extension, but still allow you to compress the front standard all the way back; if effect making a flower-like shape when fully collapsed?

Just a thought...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Not a bad idea. I'm also going to have to add a strip of fabric around the seam to make it stronger; it's just glued and in a way that could conceivably pull apart if the bellows got yanked on too hard. That strip might be a way I could force it to bow outwards instead of inwards.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Walter, first thank you for the nice compliment. I think you should be very proud! Camera building is a labor of love. You can always adjust as you go because you built it and you know it better than anyone. I think the finish came out great. You learn from the mistakes you make ( trust me I still make them) and you get better. Hell, just getting the thing light proof and the film plane to line up is a great accomplishment in my book. I bought both of the bellows for my 8x20 and 11x14 cameras and that is one of the hardest parts to make. If I come up with any ideas on how to address your bellows problem I will be sure to let you know. Some more wine and we may get lucky!

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin