Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,736   Online: 989

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Removing Old Bellows?

I have a "Charten" 5x7 wood field camera that I'm planning to restore. The bellows are in bad shape and need to be replaced. Does anyone have any advice on removing the bellows, they are glued on. Any advice would be appreciated.

Roger Thoms

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had to take out the bellows in an old 120 folder. Even though this was a metal body I'm sure things cant be that different. I found a thin metal strip - like a small palette knife - initially and gently forced between the body and bellows, then the old glue seemed to give in as the blade was worked round the gap. Odd stuff old bellows glue, I've always found it to be very brittle.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That worked well, I hadn't thought of a palette knife. The old bellow are in rough shape, but I didn't want to damage them any further. I have a quote for new bellows from Camera Bellows and wanted to send the old bellows to them as intact as possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A hair blower or heat gun can soften things up...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin