Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,968   Posts: 1,632,696   Online: 795

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

105 Apotar on 4x5 film

So...

I posted this in the gallery but, since I tend to go more in depth with my shooting with it, I figured that I'd elaborate a little on the lens.

First photo:

Ignore the light leak. Not the camera's fault.

I really think I'm going to like this. Really, really, really.

I got it to work by setting the focus on the lens to infinity. I then mounted the lens on a board that was too big for it with some cardboard with a hole in it, some electrical tape, and prayer to the photography gods. No leaks. But I haven't taken it out in daylight yet. That's the next step.

I chose my daughter's toy, or a part of it, because I don't really have anywhere set up to do a true still life yet. Also, my yellow roses weren't blooming quite yet and I didn't want to go out and by a flower to use in my vase. Suppose I could've done just a vase with water in it, or a glass with water, but that would've been even more boring.

The toy was yellow and red. The darkness in the middle is a mirror.

I'll be adding to this thread when I get a chance to share more photos and thoughts on results. Just in case people are interested.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Glutton for punishment that I am...

This is a mistake. A number of them, actually. And one of them was on purpose.

This is shot on Agfa APX 100 sheet film that had been damaged due to moisture. It was stuck together in places in the package, but I wanted to shoot it anyway. I tend to have fun with imperfect things.

The second mistake was that the camera moved a smidge while I was taking the photograph. Not much, but a little. I need a cable release, which I should be getting soon.

The third was that she moved. More than I thought, I guess.

Confirms the lens covers at least enough for the purpose I wanted to use it for.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm. Fuzzy, as you know. Also, as I'm sure you know, with no fine detail in the corners in the plane of best focus so we can't see whether the lens covers 4x5. It certainly does illuminate 4x5, though.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I didn't think it would illuminate the corners at all, but straight on it does. It's also wide open in both of the shots. I'm going to shoot it closed down a bit later on this week.

It was interesting and fun since I can't really shoot anything serious right now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The light leak is great. I hope you can keep it without it totally wiping out the images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One of these days I'm going to learn how to process film in this tank. But, anyway..

If you want to see a larger version (pretty much twice that size), click on the smaller image.

The lens covers, completely, when movements are not used. At f/8, the aperture these shots were taken, it doesn't seem to show one lick of it. The only problem I see is my complete lack of film processing prowess. I haven't sucked this badly since I started developing film a few years ago.

These were also taken after I took the lens apart and cleaned it.

I'm still debating with myself whether it was the scanner's fault or mine that the highlights are blown out a bit. I think it's the scanner. It looks like there's texture in them in the negative. I'm going to get some grade 2 paper to print these on in addition to printing them side by side on grade 3. The lens is shaping up good so far. I'm excited.

The next test is the field test. I'm taking the camera out tomorrow (with another known lens, of course, in addition to this one) to a family picnic where I plan to take a large family portrait. The wideness of this lens would be a plus, but we'll see how it performs.

I'm having a lot of fun with this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What kind of tank are you using? Some of them aren't worth using and can't be learned at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm using a Combi-Plan and it works just fine most of the time. I didn't have enough fixer in the tank. For the next ones I'm mixing up an entirely new thing of fixer. I really need to get the gallon of the TF-4 concentrate.

I also never got the camera to the family reunion. I was in such a hurry to get out the door that I forgot the thing. I'm hoping to do some more portraits, though, now that I have a cable release. Maybe Adam or something. Or me.

We'll see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I'm using a Combi-Plan and it works just fine most of the time.
    We'll see.
    Never used one but I understand that is one of the types that actually work.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

If this is the 105 Apotar used on 6X9 folders????

It would be interesting to see what a Solinar would do. If I recall correctly, the lenses used on Agfa folders were Agnar, Apotar and Solinar in that order of improved quality. The Apotar was a triplet and the Solinar was 4 element, and, by some, the 4.5/105 four element Solinar creates images a nice as the Carl Zeiss Jenna 3.5/105.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin