Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,756   Posts: 1,670,757   Online: 821

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You should just go to harbor freight or Sears (does Sears still sell this stuff?) and get a router table with a cheap router and a fence. You can quickly trim all 4 sides and flip them over to put the new recess in. It will cost less than paying someone else to do it.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=jimgalli;657041]You should just go to harbor freight or Sears (does Sears still sell this stuff?) and get a router table with a cheap router and a fence. QUOTE]

I have a Sears Router Table with Skil router. The table is one of Sears' better ones. But, I went to use it to trim up a board for a miniature graphic the other day and found the opening in the fence was too wide for the board. They give you filler rings for the table but not for the fence (unless I've lost them). I'm going to make an auxilliary fence I can attach to the one on the table to make the opening smaller or better yet variable. Should take care of it.

Dan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    [QUOTE=Fotoguy20d;657062]
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    You should just go to harbor freight or Sears (does Sears still sell this stuff?) and get a router table with a cheap router and a fence. QUOTE]

I have a Sears Router Table with Skil router. The table is one of Sears' better ones. But, I went to use it to trim up a board for a miniature graphic the other day and found the opening in the fence was too wide for the board. They give you filler rings for the table but not for the fence (unless I've lost them). I'm going to make an auxilliary fence I can attach to the one on the table to make the opening smaller or better yet variable. Should take care of it.

Dan
    Mine found me used from God knows where and the fence is long lost. I just clamp another piece of wood with a striaght edge where it needs to be and have at it. I also cut and / or enlarge my holes in the boards with this thing freehand which is dangerous as hell. I count my fingers when I'm done. So far so good. I have a 3/4" Carbide cutter and it never gets changed.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have an under $50 Harbor Freight drill press and a set of their forstner bits for cutting the lens openings (I drill undersize and then use a dremel to open them up if necessary). My router bits are a set of something like 15 carbide bits from HF at under $30. Their stuff is fine for light use - I can't imagine a contracter using it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    I was in Harbor Freight the other day and looked at that saw, it is the cutest little thing I've seen in some time. The also have a tiny little cut-off saw that I'm going to pick up for some metal work I need to do.

My wife has one of those saws. They are not worth the cost to have them hauled away. The blade depth adjustment is done by loosening a wing nut then sliding the table up and down in a cast guide. The table flexes, the blade flexes. Nothing ever repeats. They are nearly impossible to adjust. A Dremel table saw would be MUCH better. I made my first cameras and lensboards on a Dremel table saw. Dremel saws are now going for big bucks on Ebay however. If you have room, virtually any other table saw besides the mini saw from HF is a good choice by comparison. The mini chop saw you mentioned is a much better tool but also suffers from flexing.

I think that the ultimate setup for someone tight on space would be a minilathe with a saw arbor and an adjustable table. It seems like most of the small saw manufacturers think small needs to mean junk.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Barry,

Thanks. The chop saw is just going to be for crude cutting, I'll clean up the edges of the metal on my milling machine. At the price if it saves the time and energy spent with a hacksaw, it will be worth the price. However I do expect it to die a quick death (back to the hacksaw), and I'm only going to work aluminum with a little bit of stainless rod (4mm diameter). At the price it is simply and experiment to see just how bad it really is.

I did get to look at the table saw, it did look extremely cheesy, but cute at the same time. I hear good things about the MicroLux saws. I've also considered building a table saw out something like a Ryobi 4 inch portable circular saw. The circ saw I have in the kit of 18 volt tools actually has put up with a bunch of hard work for me, so it might make a decent table saw with the correct AC power supply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greg,

If you are cutting round stock on your saw, hold the end with a pair of visegrips or you may get a nasty blade destroying spin.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, I will be cutting a little bit of 4mm and 8mm stainless, I expect to snap a few blades on that stuff. I also ordered some 3 inch abrasive blades to see if they will fit (they were cheap). The arbor is the same size, so it is a calculated risk. Mostly it will be cutting aluminum bar (6061) up to about 3/8 thick. They claim the accuracy will be so good that I can cut right to the dimension that I need, I expect I'll need to finish mill about 1/16 off the ends to true them up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I was thinking of buying one of those Harbor Freight table saws, but after some quick googling--it seems like a lot of them burn out easily or arrive broken. I found a decent rated, but inexpensive 10" table saw--the Ryobi BTS10S.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100058430

I don't expect wonders for $99, but it seems like it might be handy for light large format cutting needs--lensboards and the like. Is a 10" saw too large for cutting lensboards and other small pieces?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, it should be fine for that. Get a good blade to achieve the best results.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin