Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,449   Online: 774

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Tripod mount for ULF

I recently finished building my 2nd camera. It is an 11x14 folding field camera fashioned after the Zone VI design. My question is regarding the tripod mount. I have one 1/4-20 insert that I screwed into the base from the top. Should I put a second one in? The camera is 16 lbs. and it will sit on my Majestic head. Any advice will be appreciated.

Jim

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jim I would say yes, I use the Majestic and the slot on the head provides access for another, I use a second bolt in thro the base to keep the 14 x 17 from twisting, and it will twist.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think I would take those out and use 3/8 inch bolts instead. That might be getting heavy for 1/4 stuff. Whatever you do, keeping it from twisting will go a long way to helping prevent shearing one of the screws off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to use a really strong screw which is next to unbreakable, get a socket head cap screw. As the head is rather small, put a wing nut reversed and threaded up to the screw head and lock it in position with a regular nut.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    This confirmed my belief. I have an older Majestic head and I'll have to spot the hole for the other screw. Thanks, everyone.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can track down a Cine 60 QR plate, that will be the ticket. They use these on the uber-heavy movie cameras and it will hold even a 25 pound camera in vertical position. They occasionally pop up on the bay. When I was shooting 12x20, that was the ticket.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Clay, cool! Thanks.

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin